Subject: Re: Perl modules
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 21:16:19 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Andreas Enge <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 01:31:12PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> But there’s no tool that really “interprets” of what’s in the
>> ‘description’ field[*].  What do you mean?
>> [*] Actually, ‘fill-paragraph’ from (guix ui), which is used for the
>>     output of ‘guix package --search’ does some very basic
>>     interpretation.
>
> Well, the output of "guix package --search" has different line breaks than
> those present in the string of the description field. So something modifies
> it,

Yes, that’s ‘fill-paragraph’.

> maybe the scheme interpreter itself in what it does with multi-line
> strings, maybe the function you mention. In any case, "x.\nY" may be
> output as "x. Y"; so if we wish to have double spaces in the output,
> we need to write "x.  Y" on the same line.

That’s really a bug in ‘fill-paragraph’.

I’m filing it now and will look at it later, unless someone beats me.
;-)

Ludo’.