Subject: 24.4.50; Initial frame geometry on OSX
From: Bernd Rellermeyer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 09:36:24 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When changing the default font and the height in default-frame-alist,
the width is not set correctly.  I have the following lines in the
.emacs file:

(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . "Courier-14"))
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(height . 71))

The default width, which is 80 characters, seems to be evaluated with
the default font, which is Monaco-12. Courier-14 is a bit wider, and
the initial frame is too narrow (it has only 70 characters per line).

When I change my settings to

(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . "Courier-14"))
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(width . 80))
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(height . 71))

everything is fine.  When I change my settings to

(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . "Courier-14"))

leaving the height as ist is, the width of 80 characters per line is
also set correctly.

I am still on OS X Lion (10.7.5).

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
 of 2014-03-29 on bob.porkrind.org
Repository revision: [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1138
Configured using:
 `configure --host=x86_64-apple-darwin --build=i686-apple-darwin
 --with-ns'

Configured features:
ACL LIBXML2 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<escape> x r e p o r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ox hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ox-texinfo hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-texinfo
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ox-publish hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-publish
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ox-org hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-org
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ox-odt hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-odt
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ox-md hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-md
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ox-man hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-man
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ox-latex hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-latex
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ox-icalendar hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-icalendar
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ox-html hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-html
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ox-beamer hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-beamer
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ox-ascii hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-ascii
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-w3m hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-w3m
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-version hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-version
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-timer hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-timer
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-table hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-table
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-src hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-src
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-rmail hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-rmail
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-protocol hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-protocol
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-plot hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-plot
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-pcomplete hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-mouse hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mouse
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-mobile hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mobile
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-mhe hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mhe
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-macs hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-macs
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-macro hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-macro
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-loaddefs hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-list hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-list
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-irc hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-irc
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-install hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-install
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-inlinetask hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-info hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-info
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-indent hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-indent
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-id hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-id
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-habit hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-habit
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-gnus hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-gnus
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-footnote hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-footnote
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-feed hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-feed
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-faces hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-faces
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-eshell hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-eshell
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-entities hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-entities
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-element hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-element
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-docview hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-docview
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-datetree hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-datetree
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-ctags hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-ctags
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-crypt hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-crypt
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-compat hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-compat
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-colview hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-colview
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-clock hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-clock
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-capture hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-capture
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-bibtex hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-bbdb hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-attach hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-attach
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-archive hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-archive
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/org-agenda hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-agenda
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-tangle hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-table hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-table
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-sqlite hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-sql hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sql
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-shen hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-shen
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-sh hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sh
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-screen hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-screen
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-scheme hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-scala hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-scala
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-sass hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sass
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-ruby hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-ref hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ref
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-R hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-R
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-python hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-python
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-plantuml hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-picolisp hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-perl hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-perl
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-org hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-org
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-octave hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-octave
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-ocaml hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-mscgen hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-maxima hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-matlab hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-makefile hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-makefile
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-lob hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-lob
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-lisp hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-lilypond hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-ledger hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-latex hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-latex
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-keys hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-keys
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-js hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-js
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-java hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-java
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-io hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-io
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-haskell hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-gnuplot hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-fortran hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-exp hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-exp
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-eval hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-eval
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-emacs-lisp hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-dot hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-dot
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-ditaa hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-css hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-css
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-core hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-core
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-comint hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-comint
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-clojure hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-calc hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-calc
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-C hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-C
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-awk hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-awk
/Users/bernd/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140217/ob-asymptote hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-asymptote

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils info easymenu package time-date
tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
cocoa ns multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 83239 6653)
 (symbols 48 18247 0)
 (miscs 40 77 156)
 (strings 32 14002 4505)
 (string-bytes 1 390065)
 (vectors 16 10073)
 (vector-slots 8 373944 6113)
 (floats 8 56 80)
 (intervals 56 215 0)
 (buffers 960 12))