Subject: 24.4.50; C-j is undefined in Emacs Lisp mode (and RET doesn't indent either)
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 14:16:36 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Up until recently, it was bad enough that you, in effect, swapped C-j
and RET behaviors.  Bad enough, meaning that I needed to use different
keys for different Emacs versions, by default.  But at least I could do
that.

In this version, you've gone a step further and eliminated any
newline-and-indent binding by default (AFAICT).

C-j used to do that.  And recently RET had that effect.  Now neither key
does it.  And C-j isn't even bound by default!

Please stop this madness.  Could you please return to the behavior that
Emacs has always had in this regard: C-j to insert a newline and indent,
RET to just insert a newline?

Or if that's too much to ask, could you please revert to what you had
recently, so I can at least get newline-and-indent by hitting RET
instead of C-j?

Yes, I can customize things, once you stop changing things and I figure
out what the right way to customize things is.

FWIW, NEWS is no help in this regard.  You've introduced a regression in
longstanding behavior (you will call it an improvement, no doubt),
apparently without telling users how to simply get back the previous
behavior.  Shame.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-03-21 on ODIEONE
Bzr revision: 116829 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/Devel/emacs/snapshot/trunk
 --enable-checking=yes,glyphs 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3' 'CPPFLAGS=-DGC_MCHECK=1
 -Ic:/Devel/emacs/include' LDFLAGS=-Lc:/Devel/emacs/lib'