Subject: password not hidden in shell when mounting cifs partition
From: Tyler Smith <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 11:43:36 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I'm not sure if this is really an Emacs bug, or just a limitation of *shell*

Starting from emacs -Q:
M-x shell
mount ./network-drive
;; (fstab for this drive is:
//<network.location>/<folder>$/     /home/user/network-drive      cifs
noauto,users,user=<my username on the network>,uid=<my local
username>,rw     0       0
;; )

;; I am now prompted for my network password. When I enter it and press
;; return I see this:
Password for <user>@//<network.location>/<folder>$/:  <my password in
plain text>
********

The point is, the asterisks should be appearing in place of my actual
password. Instead, they appear in addition to my password.

Thanks for your time,

Tyler

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.6)
 of 2013-12-31 on ONOTTAR654746
Bzr revision: 115821 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11405000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux unstable (sid)

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_CA.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-o M-x M-x s h e l l <return> m o u n t SPC n - <tab>
<return> n o t m y r e a l p a s s w o r d <return> M-o C-g M-x
r e p o <tab> r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
M-o M-x is undefined
M-o C-g is undefined
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu pcmpl-linux shell
pcomplete comint ansi-color ring time-date tooltip electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)