Subject: 24.3; rcirc coloring incompatible with global-whitespace-mode
From: "Felix S. Klock II" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 14:07:31 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org. Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address. After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgment at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug. If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

1. Start `emacs -Q'

2. Invoke `M-x rcirc`, go to a channel.

3. Observe: As messages arrive, user nicknames are colored by default.

4. Quit emacs, restart `emacs -Q'

5. In *scratch*, eval `(global-whitespace-mode 1)'

6. Invoke `M-x rcirc`, go to a channel.

7. Observe that when messages come in, user nicknames are not colored.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
`bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/Applications/EmacsIRC.app/Contents/Resources/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
of 2013-03-13 on bob.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1187
Configured using:
`configure '--host=3Dx86_64-apple-darwin' '--build=3Di686-apple-darwin'
'--with-ns' 'build_alias=3Di686-apple-darwin'
'host_alias=3Dx86_64-apple-darwin' 'CC=3Dgcc -mmacosx-version-min=3D10.7
-isystem
/Users/david/Xcode-10.7_4.5.2/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOS=
X.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.7.sdk/usr/include/
-F/Users/david/Xcode-10.7_4.5.2/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/Mac=
OSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.7.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks''

Important settings:
value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: rcirc

Minor modes in effect:
tooltip-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
use-hard-newlines: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<escape> x r c i r <tab> <return> / j o i n SPC =C2=A3 r=20
<backspace> <backspace> C-x 2 C-x o C-x C-f C-a C-k=20
~ / . e m <tab> <return> y e s <return> C-s r c i r=20
c C-e C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-e C-s C-s C-s C-a C-s=20
<C-home> C-s =C2=A3 C-e C-x C-e C-x o # p n k f x . <backspace>=20
<return> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <double-down-mouse-1>=20
<double-mouse-1> <escape> x r e p o <tab> r <tab>=20
<return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Connecting to irc.freenode.net...done
Loading vc-git...done
Followed link to /Users/fklock/DotFiles-github/emacs
Mark saved where search started [3 times]
Mark set
Mark saved where search started
35
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils help-mode
easymenu misearch multi-isearch vc-git disp-table network-stream
auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv gnus-util mm-util
mail-prsvr password-cache starttls tls rcirc ring time-date tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty emacs)