Subject: 24.3; Pointer in new frames does not move
From: Vincenzo Andretta <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 15:38:09 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

-----
Actions:

  Start with emacs -Q
  open a new buffer (e.g.: "text1.txt")
  start a new frame (C-x 5 2)
  open another buffer (e.g.: "text2.txt")

Problem:

  The cursor in this new frame does not follow the pointer.  In other
  words, while typing, the typed characters do appear in the frame, but
  the cursor (solid black, by default) remains fixed, usually at the
  first column of the buffer.

The same happens in the minibuffer window of the new frame, as well as
in any new frame.

The problem has appeared on openSUSE 13.1 [GNU Emacs 24.3.1
(x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.0) of 2013-09-30 on build40],
under KDE 4.11, while it did not appear on openSUSE 12.2 [GNU Emacs
24.2.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.4) of 2012-12-10 on
build20], under KDE 4.8.

-----

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.0)
 of 2013-09-30 on build40
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11403901
System Description:	openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64)

Configured using:
 `configure '--with-pop' '--without-hesiod' '--with-kerberos'
 '--with-kerberos5' '--with-xim' '--with-wide-int' '--enable-autodepend'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--datadir=/usr/share' '--localstatedir=/var'
 '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--with-x'
 '--with-sound' '--with-xpm' '--with-jpeg' '--with-tiff' '--with-gif'
 '--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-dbus' '--without-gpm'
 '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--x-includes=/usr/include'
 '--x-libraries=/usr/lib64' '--with-xft' '--with-libotf'
 '--with-m17n-flt' '--build=x86_64-suse-linux'
 'build_alias=x86_64-suse-linux' 'CFLAGS=-fmessage-length=0
 -grecord-gcc-switches -O2 -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fstack-protector
 -funwind-tables -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -g -D_GNU_SOURCE
 -std=gnu89 -pipe -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-unused-variable
 -Wno-unused-label -Wno-unprototyped-calls -fno-optimize-sibling-calls
 -DSYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA=55000 -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=10000 '
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O2 -Wl,--hash-size=65521''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: POSIX
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x C-f t e s t 1 . t x t <return> a b c <return> C-x
5 2 <switch-frame> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement>
<mouse-1> C-x C-f t e s t 2 . t x t <return> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<double-down-mouse-1> <double-mouse-1> <triple-down-mouse-1>
<triple-mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down> <down> <down>
<up> <up> SPC SPC SPC SPC a s ; k l j a l k j t SPC
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> C-x b t <tab> <return> <switch-frame>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-1> C-x b t e
s t <tab> <return> a a t SPC a e t SPC a t e SPC <switch-frame>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-1> a ; l a k
e t ; SPC a k l e j t SPC <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> C-x 5 2 <switch-frame> <help-echo> C-x C-f
t e s t 3 . t x t <return> a e t SPC a SPC t e a t
SPC a <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-1> M-x
r e p o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
(New file) [2 times]
delete-backward-char: Beginning of buffer [3 times]
byte-code: Beginning of buffer [5 times]
byte-code: End of buffer [3 times]
byte-code: Beginning of buffer [2 times]
delete-backward-char: Beginning of buffer [6 times]
(New file)

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date delsel lpr disp-table tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

--