Subject: 24.2; Shell-script mode's syntax highligting gets confused by shift (<<) operator like in '$((1 << 32))
From: Ilya Tatar <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 17:01:29 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org. Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address. After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgement at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug. If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

1. create a file that starts with '#! /bin/bash'. This will use 
Shell-script mode
2. add this line to it
echo $((1 << 32))
everything that follows this line will be highlighted as though it is a 
comment

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
`bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/24.2/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.6.4)
of 2013-07-14 on buildvm-05.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.11303000
Configured using:
`configure '--build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
'--host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' '--program-prefix='
'--disable-dependency-tracking' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr'
'--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc'
'--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include'
'--libdir=/usr/lib64' '--libexecdir=/usr/libexec'
'--localstatedir=/var' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib'
'--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--with-dbus'
'--with-gif' '--with-jpeg' '--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-tiff'
'--with-xft' '--with-xpm' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-gpm=no'
'--with-wide-int' 'build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
'host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
-pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector
--param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro ''

Important settings:
value of $LC_ALL: nil
value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
value of $LC_TIME: nil
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Shell-script

Minor modes in effect:
global-auto-complete-mode: t
auto-complete-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x C-f t m <backspace> <backspace> b i n / t m <tab>
s <tab> <return> M-x e m a <tab> v e r <tab> <return>
C-g <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>
s h e l l - s c r <tab> C-g C-g C-x v M C-x m C-x k
<return> C-h m C-x o C-s s h e l C-a C-x o <down> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Setting up indent for shell type bash
setting up indent stuff
Indentation variables are now local.
Indentation setup for shell type bash
GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.6.4) of 
2013-07-14 on buildvm-05.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Quit [3 times]
vc-deduce-fileset: No fileset is available here
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window, C-M-v to scroll help.
Mark saved where search started

Load-path shadows: