Subject: Re: bug#15886: 24.3.50; Incorrect window-text-height with non-zero line-spacing
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: Robert Dallas Gray <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 00:39:55 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> And, if it's impractical to fix this, is there a way to set the
>> height of the window in pixels rather than lines so that the same
>> effect can be achieved?
>
> What makes you think that setting window height in pixels would solve
> this issue?  Granted, the "jitter" would probably be smaller, but a
> human eye can easily spot even a 1-pixel jitter, and be no less
> annoyed.
>
> What I'm trying to tell is that it is simply impossible to control the
> Emacs display in Lisp to such a degree of precision, not with the way
> the display engine is currently designed and implemented.  Whoever
> designs packages which try to do that should be acutely aware of these
> limitations in the first place, and if they don't avert her, at least
> mention them in some prominent place.

From skimming this thread, it contains a long discussion that ultimately
ends up in the conclusion that what is requested is fundamentally not
possible to achieve with our current display engine.

So lacking any other updates within 7 years, and seeing nothing
actionable, it seems unlikely that we'll make any progress here.
I'm therefore closing this bug report.

If that conclusion is incorrect and there is more to do here, please
reply to this email (use "Reply to all" in your email client) and we can
reopen the bug report.