Subject: 24.3.50; buffer local `window-point-insertion-type'
From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 19:18:59 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

while experimenting with my logging mode, I stumbled over an
inconsistency regarding `window-point-insertion-type'.  Recipe from
emacs -Q:

(1)  Eval the attached defun

(2a) Eval (window-point-insertion-type-test t)

Result: After hitting RET (or C-g), window-point of the second window is
restored to the value it had before the recursive edit (i.e. 1 in this
case).

Now, repeat the recipe, but with

(2b) Eval (window-point-insertion-type-test nil)

Result: window-point in the second window remains at the end of the
buffer.

`window-point-insertion-type' is always bound to t in the test buffer;
the difference between the two recipes is just that it is set to t
buffer-locally in (2a), and globally in (2b).  I would expect that the
behavior is identical for both recipes.

BTW, for my mode, I want the behavior of (2b), but, of course, without
modifying a global variable binding.  let-binding also doesn't help.

Thanks,

Michael.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.4)
 of 2013-09-24 on drachen
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11204000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux testing (jessie)