Subject: 24.3.50; show-paren-mode: Unsatisfactory highlighting behaviour
From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 02:04:22 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

24.3.50; show-paren-mode: Unsatisfactory highlighting behaviour

Better explained with attached screenshot.  

For the impatient,

0. Right in this mail buffer, M-x show-paren-mode RET
1. Place cursor at the arrow position {}{},  []{}
                                        ^      ^
2. Expected behaviour.  I should see 4 highlights.  
3. Current behaviour.  

   The parentheses pair that is highlighted is the one that is "looking
   back".

   There is no way I can highlight the parentheses pair "looking
   forward".  I consider the bug.

I am attaching the "real world" file that triggerd this bug.  This can
be used for unit testing purposes.

\begin{author}
\format[RTFChars,AuthorLastFirstCommas]{\author}. \end{author}
\begin{title}"\format[RTFChars]{\title}." \end{title}{En \\i \format[RTFChars]{\booktitle}}\begin{editor}, editado por \format[RTFChars,AuthorFirstFirstCommas]{\editor}\end{editor}}
\begin{pages}, \pages\end{pages}.
\begin{edition}\format[RTFChars]{\edition}\end{edition}
\begin{volume} Vol. \format[RTFChars]{\volume}.\end{volume}
\begin{number}, bk. \format[RTFChars]{\number}.\end{number} 
\begin{address}\format[RTFChars]{\address}\end{address}{:
\begin{publisher} \format[RTFChars]{\publisher}\end{publisher}, 
\begin{year}\format[RTFChars]{\year}. \end{year}\\par\\par
\begin{abstract}\format[RTFChars]{\abstract}\\par\\par\end{abstract}

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.15 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2013-07-16 on debian-6.05
Bzr revision: 113434 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IN
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t