Subject: Re: bug#1484: 23.0.60; Apropos output: <v> etc.?

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 16:57:15 -0500

> M-x apropos now uses tags such as <v>, <f>, <p>, instead of Variable,
> Function, Plist. Is this a bug? I don't see anything in NEWS about it
> (searching for "apropos").

Indeed, this is odd: the short form is now used in the default layout,
whereas the long form is now used in the compact layout.  It should be
the other way around.
The pach below should fix it.  Thanks.

        Stefan

=== modified file 'lisp/apropos.el'
--- lisp/apropos.el	2008-08-31 00:41:24 +0000
+++ lisp/apropos.el	2008-12-03 21:52:25 +0000
@@ -1096,8 +1096,8 @@
 	 'face 'default 'apropos-symbol (car apropos-item))
       (insert-text-button
        (if apropos-compact-layout
-           (button-type-get type 'apropos-label)
-         (format "<%s>" (button-type-get type 'apropos-short-label)))
+           (format "<%s>" (button-type-get type 'apropos-short-label))
+         (button-type-get type 'apropos-label))
        'type type
        ;; Can't use the default button face, since user may have changed the
        ;; variable!  Just say `no' to variables containing faces!