Subject: wdired-change-to-wdired-mode result error with custom dir

From: xah lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 08:38:49 -0800

Summary: when using wdired-change-to-wdired-mode in dired of a  
custome dir, it causes minor problems when emacs tries to rename the  
buffer of a opened file whose name just changed.

This possible bug involves some user defined function, however, all  
things considered, i think it is still a bug.

detail:

I have a function show-file-in-dired that opens the current buffer in  
dired.

(defun show-file-in-dired ()
   "Show the current file in dired."
   (interactive)
   (let ()
     (dired buffer-file-name)
     )
   )

Then, if i tried to rename the file there by calling wdired-change-to- 
wdired-mode, then after renaming it, emacs gives error like this:

byte-code: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer emacs, elisp,  
javascript.txt<2>>
Press C-c C-c when finished or C-c ESC to abort changes
insert-directory: Reading directory: no such file or directory, / 
Users/xah/Documents/temp/emacs, elisp, javascript.txt

Steps to reproduce.

• eval the above elisp code.

• go into a dir, open a file. (don't close the dired buffer. Not  
sure this is important to reproduce the problem but anyway just leave  
it.)

• type M-x show-file-in-dired. This should get you in dired with  
only that file shown.

• type M-x wdired-change-to-wdired-mode. Then edit the file name.  
Type C-c C-c to complete.

• Emacs beeps and gives error.

-------------------

In GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0)
  of 2008-04-05 on g5.tokyo.stp.isas.jaxa.jp
Windowing system distributor `Apple Inc.', version 10.4.11
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/Applications/Emacs.app/ 
Contents/Resources' '--with-carbon' '--without-x' '--libexecdir=/ 
Volumes/Emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/libexec' 'CFLAGS=-Os -arch  
i386 -arch ppc -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -DUSE_ATSUI - 
DUSE_MAC_TSM''

   Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄