Subject: 24.2; Call to package-install during byte compilation returns non-zero exit status
From: Jon Dufresne <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 04:09:17 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgement at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

STR:

0. Create a simple elisp file that installs an ELPA package (example
below).
1. Compile the file from the command line using "emacs --batch".
2. Check the exit status of the command, notice it is non-zero (255).

The simple elisp file used for testing has the contents:

(eval-and-compile
  (require 'package)
  (package-initialize)
  (package-refresh-contents)
  (package-install 'org))

The file is compiled from the command line using the command:

$ emacs --batch --eval '(byte-compile-file "test.el")'; echo $?

After lots of compilation output, eventually you'll see the output:

Selecting deleted buffer
Wrote /home/jon/.emacs.d/ac-comphist.dat
255

Where 255 is the exit status.

When this elisp file is compiled as part of a Makefile, this causes the
build to fail, reducing automation.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/24.2/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.6.4)
 of 2013-02-02 on buildvm-04.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.11302000
Configured using:
 `configure '--build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
 '--host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' '--program-prefix='
 '--disable-dependency-tracking' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr'
 '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc'
 '--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include'
 '--libdir=/usr/lib64' '--libexecdir=/usr/libexec'
 '--localstatedir=/var' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--with-dbus'
 '--with-gif' '--with-jpeg' '--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-tiff'
 '--with-xft' '--with-xpm' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-gpm=no'
 '--with-wide-int' 'build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
 'host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro ''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
x M-x r e p o <tab> r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/auto-complete-init.el (source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/desktop-entry-mode-init.el (source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/emacs-goodies-loaddefs.el (source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/gnus-bonus-init.el (source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/rpm-spec-mode-init.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows: