Subject: Re: bug#13374: 24.?; open-gnutls-stream insecurity
From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Cc: Oleksii Shevchuk <[email-masked]>, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 17:50:39 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 12:06:08 -0500 Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote: 

>>> It should default to nil (in other words, we'll ship 24.3 with the same
>>> insecure behavior it has right now).  But we can recommend to the users
>>> to turn it on, and see how well it works in practice, and write the
>>> necessary prompts and customization logic that Lars outlined.
>> I think we should just leave things as is for 24.3, since it's too close
>> to release, and fix this properly for 24.5.

SM> I tend to agree, although, if the patch is sufficiently trivial, it
SM> could be accepted (e.g. define a new custom var, with nil default value
SM> and splice it somewhere in the code where nil makes no difference).

>> Instituting an option like that (which will have to be abandoned
>> later) as a stop-gap I feel isn't all that helpful.

SM> If the option will have to be abandoned, then it's indeed a loser, but
SM> I thought the idea is that this option will stay and the added code in
SM> 24.4 will "simply" be handling errors more cleverly and prompting the
SM> user to update this option on-the-fly.

This is done for the upcoming release.  Marking this as done.

Ted