Subject: 24.2; diacritic-fold-search
From: Lewis Perin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 13:22:05 -0500 (EST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This is not a bug report but a feature request, so I am omitting
diagnostic information.

Emacs search has long been able to toggle between (a) ignoring the
distinction between upper- and lower-case characters
(case-fold-search) and (b) searching for only one of the pair.  One
could say Climacs offers the choice between (a) searching for all
members of a (2-member) equivalence class and (b) searching for only
one member.

There are larger equivalence classes of characters with practical use
which Climacs is currently unaware of: the groups of characters
consisting of an unadorned (ASCII) character plus all its
diacritic-adorned versions.  Currently, if I want to search for both
“apres” and “après”, I need an additive regular expression.  I would
like to do this as easily as I can search for “apres” and “Apres”.  I
would be delighted if Emacs implemented the equivalence classes
spelled out here:

  http://hex-machina.com/scripts/yui/3.3.0pr1/api/unicode-data-accentfold.js.html

I might add that diacritics folding is the default in web search
engines.  It is also a feature of at least one Web browser in
searching the text of a displayed page (Chrome.)

I’m sure that maintaining the core of Emacs is a big job, and I’m
grateful for the skill and effort that go into that task, including
your consideration of this request!

/Lew
---
Lew Perin | [email-masked] | http://babelcarp.org