Subject: 24.2.50; Doc: `message': mention `message-log-max'
From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 01:14:04 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I made the experience that many people don't know that logging messages
(printed with `message') in the *Messages* buffer can be prevented with
binding `message-log-max' to nil.

Indeed, it's not easy to find in the doc, and the name `message-log-max'
also doesn't sound as if this variable could have this effect.

I think we should mention this effect of binding `message-log-max' to
nil in the docstring of `message', e.g. by changing this sentence:

The message also goes into the `*Messages*' buffer.

to

The message also goes into the `*Messages*' buffer if `message-log-max'
is not nil.

Thanks,

Michael.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2)
 of 2012-11-01 on dex, modified by Debian
 (emacs-snapshot package, version 2:20121101-1)
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux testing (wheezy)