Subject: dired-do-shell-command should allow . and ..
From: Hemal Pandya <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 14:20:05 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In dired buffer, hitting `!' on current directory (`.') or parent
directory (`..') results in the error
   dired-get-filename: Cannot operate on `.' or `..'

There is no reason this should not be allowed. Please allow running
commands on these two.

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgement at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/24.2/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (i686-pc-cygwin, GTK+ Version 2.24.11)
 of 2012-08-27 on fiona
Windowing system distributor `The Cygwin/X Project', version 11.0.11204000
Configured using:
 `configure
 '--srcdir=/home/kbrown/src/cygemacs/emacs-24.2-1/src/emacs-24.2'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr' '--bindir=/usr/bin'
 '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--datadir=/usr/share'
 '--localstatedir=/var' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--datarootdir=/usr/share'
 '--docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs' '-C' '--without-gsettings'
 '--without-gconf' 'CC=gcc' 'CFLAGS=-ggdb -O2 -pipe
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/home/kbrown/src/cygemacs/emacs-24.2-1/build=/usr/src/debug/emacs-24.2-1
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/home/kbrown/src/cygemacs/emacs-24.2-1/src/emacs-24.2=/usr/src/debug/emacs-24.2-1'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/usr/lib/ncursesw' 'LIBS='
 'CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/include/ncursesw''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x d <return> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
! M-x r e p o <tab> r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
dired-get-filename: Cannot operate on `.' or `..'
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu view dired-aux dired regexp-opt
time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)