Subject: 24.1; term-emulate-term does not process bash's Ctrl-Z signal of directory name when an AnSi message is present
From: Michael Hoffman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 17:45:16 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgement at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

I have GNU bash, version 4.1.2(1). When I do this:

1) emacs -Q
2) M-x ansi-term RET /bin/bash RET
3) PS1='\033AnSiTu x\012$ ' RET

From then on, every prompt will be preceded by a Ctrl-Z character and
the working directory. This is because recent versions of bash
try to figure out whether they are running under emacs, and if they
are, output Ctrl-Z and the working directory before the PS1 prompt.
term-emulate-terminal normally eliminates such garbage, but not when
it has also processed an AnSi message. The elimination only happens
when the following conditions are true:

(and (eq char ?\032)
     (not handled-ansi-message))

Suggested fix: eliminate the "(not handled-ansi-message)" form.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/net/gs/vol3/software/modules-sw/emacs/24.1/Linux/RHEL6/x86_64/share/emacs/24.1/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.1.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.9)
 of 2012-06-21 on rhel6-x64.grid.gs.washington.edu
Windowing system distributor `Red Hat, Inc.', version 11.0.11004000
Configured using:
 `configure '--without-gif' '--with-x' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk'
 '--prefix=/net/gs/vol3/software/modules-sw/emacs/24.1/Linux/RHEL6/x86_64'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/net/gs/vol3/software/modules-sw/boost/1.45.0/Linux/RHEL6/x86_64/lib/
 -L/net/gs/vol3/software/modules-sw/R/2.9.0/Linux/RHEL6/x86_64/lib/'
 'CPPFLAGS=-I/net/gs/vol3/software/modules-sw/boost/1.45.0/Linux/RHEL6/x86_64/include/
 -I/net/gs/vol3/software/modules-sw/R/2.9.0/Linux/RHEL6/x86_64/include/''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t - b <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
goto-history-element: Beginning of history; no preceding item
goto-history-element: End of history; no default available

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail regexp-opt rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dynamic-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)