Subject: Hook `find-file-not-found-functions' is ignored
From: Dirk Ullrich <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 21:36:04 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgement at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

1. Ensure that `find-file-not-found-functions' only contains a simple test
   function - for instance by:
   1.1. Creating a simple file -- say `file-not-found-test.el' -- with the
        following content:

(setq find-file-not-found-functions '())
(add-hook 'find-file-not-found-functions
          (function
           (lambda () (message "Test for `find-file-not-found-functions'"))))

   1.2 Load th file from 1.1 by:
       emacs -Q -l file-not-found-test.el

2. Open a buffer for a non-existing file by `find-file'.
   Result: function in `find-file-not-found-functions' is not called.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/local/packages/emacs-devel/share/emacs/24.1.50/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2)
 of 2012-07-03 on red
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11201902
Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr/local/packages/emacs-devel' '--sysconfdir=/etc'
 '--localstatedir=/var//local/packages/emacs-devel'
 '--libexecdir=/usr/local/packages/emacs-devel/lib'
 '--mandir=/usr/local/packages/emacs-devel/share/man' '--without-sound'
 '--with-games-user=packages' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  flyspell-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t - <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading /usr/local/emacsen-packages/proofgeneral/lisp/pg-init.el (source)...done
Setting paths for package /usr/local/emacsen-packages/sicp
Setting paths for package /usr/local/emacsen-packages/python_du
Setting paths for package /usr/local/emacsen-packages/haskell-mode
Loading haskell-site-file...done
Setting paths for package /usr/local/emacsen-packages/nasm-mode
Setting paths for package /usr/local/emacsen-packages/quack
Starting new Ispell process [aspell::english] ...
Electric newline by `reindent-then-newline-and-indent' enabled.
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message cl-macs gv format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils flyspell ispell filladapt common-start du-sh-site du-elisp-site
du-scheme-site du-quack-site quack thingatpt cmuscheme scheme du-nasm-site
nasm-site du-asm-site asm-mode du-asm-modes du-cc-site du-hslike-latex-site
du-haskell-site du-python-site python_du du-pg-site proof-site proof-autoloads
pg-vars idris-site idris du-agda2-site agda2 du-prog-modes du-auctex-site
preview-latex tex-site auto-loads du-text-modes du-yasnippet-site template
du-hippie-expand du-indent du-dictem-site dictem du-spell whitespace
du-auto-fill delsel dvc-autoloads dvc-core dvc-lisp dvc-buffers dvc-ui
dvc-register dvc-utils dvc-emacs dvc-defs dvc-site du-ahg-site ahg dired grep
compile comint ansi-color cl cl-lib macroexp ewoc log-edit ring pcvs-util
add-log diff-mode easymenu easy-mmode du-browse-kill-ring-site
browse-kill-ring+ browse-kill-ring advice help-fns advice-preload paren
mic-paren du-buffers du-bookmarks du-gui time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1
md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)