Subject: 24.1.50; "Simple" input methods do not allow selection of alternatives with quail-completions
From: Lawrence Mitchell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 14:30:31 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

emacs -Q

C-u C-\ TeX RET

\"o TAB

Three completions are shown:

Possible completion and corresponding characters are:
 \"o:(1/1) 1.ӧ 2.ȫ 3.ö

Those are:
CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER O WITH DIAERESIS
LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH DIAERESIS AND MACRON
LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH DIAERESIS

They all have the relevant mouse-highlight face, but mouse-2 on
any of them does not insert the relevant one in a buffer.

This is an unintended side-effect of this change:

Author: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date:   Sun Apr 8 22:53:51 2012 -0400

    * leim/quail/latin-ltx.el: Auto-generate some of the entries.
    (latin-ltx--ascii-p): New function.
    (latin-ltx--define-rules): New macro.
    (define-rules): Use it.

Previously, there was a one-to-one mapping between TeX-like names
and inserted characters, with this change, many entries are
one-to-many.  Doubly unfortunately, the most likely candidate is
often not the first option.  I'd suggest reverting that commit.

Lawrence