Subject: Re: bug#11556: 24.0.97; Strange behaviour of bury-buffer after desktop-read
From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Tobias Bading <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 12:26:26 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> desktop.diff works fine for me, thank you.

Committed in revision 108018 of the release branch.

 > What to expect from desktop-read when used in the middle of a session?
 > Good question. I never use it that way, because I tend to spam my one
 > and only session with lots of buffers ;-). However, other more
 > organized people might use multiple desktop files. They would probably
 > want desktop-read to behave as in Emacs 23, whatever that behaviour
 > exactly was.

I don't use desktop but wonder what should happen when, for example, a
buffer read by `desktop-read' exists already.  Should it move to the
front of the buffer lists or stay where it was before?

 > The "If no desktop file is found, clear the desktop
 > [...]" part in the doc-string of desktop-read sounds odd to me. Why
 > would the function want to clear the desktop if it doesn't find a
 > desktop file, but perform some sort of a merge operation with the
 > current session (instead of a replace) if one is found?

Looks odd.  Anyone who wants to clear the desktop could do this by
calling `desktop-clear'.

I'm looking for a kind soul to work on integrating window handling into
desktop.

martin