Subject: Re: bug#11306: Automake 1.11d on MacOS X
From: Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]>
To: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 11:29:09 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Reference:
<http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11306>

On 04/21/2012 08:52 PM, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
> Hi Bruno, thanks for the report.
> 
> On 04/21/2012 08:13 PM, Bruno Haible wrote:
>>
>> Apparently, the "automake-1.11d ..." command [run with the AUTOMAKE_JOBS
>> environment variable set to a value > 1] got a bus error. It is a shell
>> script that runs perl (/usr/bin/perl, version 5.8.8).
>>
> I have tested automake with perl 5.8.8, 5.10.1, 5.12.4 and even perl 5.6.2,
> never seeing any error in these tests.  So it seems like an an issue with
> perl multithreading on your system.  Could you somehow verify whether this
> is truly the case?
> 
Several months have passed since this report, the thread has seen no
further activity, I haven't been unable to reproduce the remaining issue,
and no-one else has reported a similar problem.  In order to reduce the
clutter in the Automake bug tracker, I'm taking the guess that the
remaining failures were indeed due to multithreading-related bugs in
Bruno's perl, and thus close this report as "not Automake's fault".

In case anyone manages to reproduce a similar failure with more modern
Automake releases: feel free to open a new dedicated bug report.

Thanks,
  Stefano