Subject: 24.0.95; (WISH) Re-look scratch buffers
From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 21:25:16 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Feel free to close it or add to it.

An exact copy of my post in help-gnu-emacs.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2012-04/msg00332.html

Increasingly, I am feeling the need for multiple scratch buffers.  By
default, my scratch buffer is in emacs-lisp mode.  Some times, I switch
that scratch buffer to Org-mode when I create lists, tables or just
copy-paste some plain text from interwebs purely for reasons of
wrapping/filling.

1. Allow multiple scratch buffers one for each mode the user is
   interested in.  The defcustom can have a solitary text-mode entry.  A
   user wanting no scratch buffer at all can null-ify the mode list.  A
   user like me can add emacs-lisp-mode and org-mode to it.

2. Just in case I need a one-off scratch buffer, I need a quick way to
   create it without having to think of (or type) out the full name Or
   confirm my intentions (This latter part is *very* annoying).  

      C-u C-x b can offer to create *scratch-%s* (or %s-scratch) in
      %s-mode.

3. I think it is not the scratch buffer that is idiosyncratic but the
   /name/.  Instead of using scratch one could call it say a notes
   buffer or a temp buffer.

That said I am happy with the way things are.  I know how to kill my
scratch buffer and I also know how to create multiple ones if needed.  I
also know how to type 'y' if prompted :-).