Subject: gravatar slowdown
From: Dave Abrahams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] (The Gnus Bugfixing Girls + Boys)
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 14:15:07 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

With gnus-treat-from-gravatar and gnus-treat-mail-gravatar set, I am
experiencing intolerable slowdowns... and have been for about a week.
For example, here's (the top of) an ELP profile from viewing a single
message.  I assume something relevant must have changed in the code
recently?

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
gnus-summary-next-unread-article                                              1           30.152667     30.152667
gnus-summary-next-article                                                     1           30.152649     30.152649
gnus-summary-display-article                                                  1           30.152562     30.152562
gnus-article-prepare                                                          1           30.148796     30.148796
gnus-article-prepare-display                                                  1           30.098376     30.098376
gnus-display-mime                                                             1           30.098365     30.098365
gnus-treat-article                                                            2           30.062092     15.031046
gnus-gravatar-transform-address                                               3           30.055445     10.018481666
gravatar-retrieve                                                             8           30.054497     3.756812125
gnus-treat-mail-gravatar                                                      1           30.052792     30.052792
gnus-run-hooks                                                                8           0.0343350000  0.0042918750
gnus-harvest-addresses                                                        1           0.034008      0.034008
gnus-harvest-sqlite-invoke                                                    1           0.03134       0.03134
gnus-mime-display-part                                                        1           0.029573      0.029573
gnus-mime-display-alternative                                                 1           0.029567      0.029567
gnus-request-article-this-buffer                                              1           0.01433       0.01433
gravatar-cache-expired                                                        8           0.013118      0.00163975
gnus-request-article                                                          1           0.004253      0.004253
gnus-cache-request-article                                                    1           0.003954      0.003954
gnus-treat-from-gravatar                                                      1           0.002679      0.002679
gnus-summary-recenter                                                         1           0.002309      0.002309
gnus-article-treat-unfold-headers                                             1           0.002259      0.002259
gnus-backlog-enter-article                                                    1           0.00186       0.00186
gnus-agent-request-article                                                    1           0.001654      0.001654
gnus-article-treat-date                                                       1           0.001527      0.001527
gnus-possibly-generate-tree                                                   1           0.001097      0.001097
gnus-agent-article-name                                                       1           0.001081      0.001081
gnus-agent-group-pathname                                                     1           0.001044      0.001044
gnus-backlog-remove-oldest-article                                            1           0.000987      0.000987
gnus-article-setup-buffer                                                     1           0.000781      0.000781
gnus-article-maybe-hide-headers                                               1           0.000726      0.000726
gnus-article-hide-headers                                                     1           0.000719      0.000719
gnus-generate-horizontal-tree                                                 5           0.000712      0.0001424
gnus-set-mode-line                                                            4           0.0006840000  0.0001710000
gnus-generate-tree                                                            1           0.000644      0.000644
gnus-article-add-buttons-to-head                                              1           0.000633      0.000633
gnus-remove-thread                                                            1           0.000433      0.000433
gnus-gravatar-insert                                                          5           0.000428      8.56e-05
gnus-article-highlight-signature                                              2           0.000397      0.0001985
gnus-article-narrow-to-signature                                              2           0.000391      0.0001955
gnus-article-search-signature                                                 2           0.0003850000  0.0001925000
gnus-root-id                                                                  1           0.000361      0.000361
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Ma Gnus v0.4
GNU Emacs 24.0.94.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin11.3.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0 AppKit 1138.32)
 of 2012-03-14 on pluto.luannocracy.com
200 Leafnode NNTP Daemon, version 1.11.8 running at localhost (my fqdn: pluto.boostpro.com)
500 Unknown command

-- 
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing
http://www.boostpro.com