Subject: chown verbose option (-v) reports incorrect retained owner:group
From: Tero Nieminen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 03:17:40 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I just noticed that when I use chown like this:

chown -hRv --from=500:500 1000:1000 nnn (as root)

it prints incorrect information on retained owner:group, like this:

ownership of `nnn/lost+found' retained as 1000:1000

Ie. instead of printing the actual retained owner and group (in this 
case root:root) it seems to incorrectly print the owner:group I was 
trying to change to.

Is this maybe a bug in Gnu-coreutils/chown or just in the particular 
version (8.12) shipped with Fedora 16 (coreutils-8.12-2.fc16.x86_64)?

I could Only found a single non-bug for chown in debbugs.gnu.org (maybe 
I just don't know how to search ;).

If this is fixed or nonexistent in GNU-coreutils, I'll file the bug to 
Fedora.

-- 
Tero Nieminen
[email-masked]