Subject: 24.0.92; tramp does not connect when username is not specified with plink
From: Christoph Scholtes <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 21:01:13 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

With Emacs trunk r106887 on Windows 7 I use tramp to connect to a remote
machine via plink v0.62.

My tramp configuration:
(require 'tramp)
(setq tramp-default-method "plink")
(setq tramp-verbose 6)
(setq tramp-debug-buffer t)

When I access the file as follows

C-x-f, then /localhost#2222:

tramp asks for a username and the a password. Then the password prompt
keeps popping up over and over again. It never establishes a connection
it seems. I have to abort with C-g.

When I access the file like this

C-x-f, then /cschol@localhost#2222:

it asks for a passwords and connects right away.

Michael,
please let me know what kind of information I can provide to help debug
this. Thank you.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.92.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
  of 2012-01-16 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --cflags 
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include 
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src 
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include 
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include 
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include 
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include 
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include 
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include --ldflags 
-LD:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/lib'