Subject: Re: bug#26248: lxde patches
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 22:15:12 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi ng0,

ng0 <[email-masked]> skribis:

> This adds LXDE.

\o/

> One application, possibly[*] lxsession or lxpanel, has a mistake[1], the
> rest is supposedly functional, builds without obvious mistakes.
> Some can be used independent from the bigger picture LXDE desktop, like
> it was designed by LXDE project.
>
> I appreciate ideas how or even people taking initiative to fix the mistake
> in the way for an functional LXDE desktop.

I don’t know what the mistake might be, but I can tell that everything
builds fine.  :-)

I committed the whole series.  One comment:

> +       (uri (string-append "https://downloads.sourceforge.net/lxde/"
> +                           name "-" version ".tar.xz"))

Such URLs actually map to the “regular” SourceForge URLs for which
mirror://sourceforge can be used.  However the mapping cannot be
guessed:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix download https://downloads.sourceforge.net/lxde/lxmenu-data-0.1.5.tar.xz
Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.dxnmks
From https://downloads.sourceforge.net/lxde/lxmenu-data-0.1.5.tar.xz...
following redirection to `https://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/lxde/lxmenu-data%20%28desktop%20menu%29/lxmenu-data-0.1.5.tar.xz'...

[...]
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

So we could change all the URLs to
mirror://sourceforge/lxde/WEIRDNAME/PACKAGE-VERSION.tar.xz for the
marginal benefit of getting proper mirror support.  If you’re interested
in it, that’d be welcome.

Besides, it would be nice to have an ‘lxde-service-type’ for GuixSD if
you feel like giving it a try!

Thank you!

Ludo’.

PS: Your email client puts:
      Mail-Followup-To: [email-masked]
    to your messages to guix-patches, but it shouldn’t since that leads
    us to replying to [email-masked] instead of [email-masked].