Subject: Re: bug#40990: Improve message-mode and isearch icons
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 04:42:32 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Now fixed on master. Closing.

On 02.05.2020 09:23, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Anyway, for all I know, we could release 27 tomorrow. As soon as we deal
>> with the "modify literal objects" documentation discussion.
> 
> There's always "that one last" issue to be fixed.
> 
> The only way to speed up our releases that I see is to care less about
> stability and regressions.  If you are following the bug list closely,
> you will see that we just recently started to get reports about
> significant regressions in Emacs 27 (and some in Emacs 26).  Should we
> disregard them?  We never did that, not since Emacs 25, at least.

I don't know what's the best course of action in each case, but if we 
did make a point of releasing more often (e.g. did time-based releases, 
for instance), Emacs 27.1 would probably have been less stable. But it 
would have been released maybe a year ago, and by now we'd already have 
released, say, 27.2 and 27.3, with more regressions fixed and faster 
because of exposure to a wider audience, more testing.

It's a tricky road, but a possible one.