Subject: 24.0.91; `region-active-p' definition
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 10:12:45 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The definition:
 
(defun region-active-p ()  "..."
  (and transient-mark-mode mark-active))
 
Makes no sense, AFAICT.  The mark *cannot* be active unless
`transient-mark-mode' is non-nil.  The very definitions of "active" mark
and "active" region imply transient mark mode.  When transient mark mode
is off, the region and mark are *never* active - the notion of "active"
does not exist in that context.
 
And since the correct definition: (defun region-active-p () mark-active)
is so trivial, this function should just be removed.
 
When is there ever any reason to test (and transient-mark-mode
mark-active)?  When is that value ever different from just the value of
mark-active?

In GNU Emacs 24.0.91.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2011-10-30 on MARVIN
 Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
 configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --cflags
 -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include"
 -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src"
 -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include"
 -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include"
 -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include"
 -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include"
 -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include"
 -I"D:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-2.10.1/include" --ldflags
 -L"D:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-2.10.1/lib"'