Subject: 24.0.90; gdb initialization on Cygwin
From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 12:02:59 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When I start a debugging session with M-x gdb, initialization doesn't
appear to complete.  I don't get the "(gdb)" prompt, and the mode line
continues to say "initializing".  If I press Return, I get the prompt
and the mode line changes to "ready".  Everything works fine after that.
This seems Cygwin-specific; it doesn't happen on GNU/Linux.

I've checked that all the strings that emacs sends to gdb during
initialization (via gdb-input) do in fact get sent.  And I've tried
sending those same strings to gdb outside of emacs (except for
"-inferior-tty-set..."), and nothing strange happened.  In particular, I
did have a "(gdb)" prompt at each stage.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might cause this or how I
can debug it?  I don't have any experience with elisp debugging, so I
would appreciate a few pointers to help get me started.

Thanks.

Ken

In GNU Emacs 24.0.90.1 (i686-pc-cygwin, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
  of 2011-09-26 on moufang
Windowing system distributor `The Cygwin/X Project', version 11.0.11101000
configured using `configure 
'--srcdir=/usr/src/emacs-24.0.90-1/src/emacs-24.0.90' '--prefix=/usr' 
'--exec-prefix=/usr' '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' 
'--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--localstatedir=/var' 
'--sysconfdir=/etc' '--datarootdir=/usr/share' 
'--docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs' '-C' 'CC=gcc' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2