Subject: 23.3; vc-git-grep doesn't link to files when git grep uses colour
From: Wilfred Hughes <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:55:13 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1. disable colour for git by doing the following in a shell: $ git
config --global color.ui never

2. open a file that is in a git repository: (in my case: C-x C-f
~/gxbo/cron.yaml)

3. search for something that exists using vc-git-grep: (in my case: M-x
vc-git-grep RET backend RET * RET ~/gxbo RET)

4. results are returned that links to the files where the results were
found

5. enable colour for git: $ git config --global color.ui always

6. repeat the search with vc-git grep

7. results are just plain text and hitting RET on them gives "no git hit
here".

Compared with using grep, I note that my search term 'backend' is not
highlighted. I don't know if that's related.

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.5)
 of 2011-08-21 on ovide
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11003901
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/usr' '--sysconfdir=/etc'
'--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var' '--without-sound'
'--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--with-xft' 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
-mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2'
'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,--hash-style=gnu''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
C-x C-f c r o n . y <tab> <return> M-x v c - g i <tab>
g r e <tab> <return> b a c k e n d <return> * <return>
C-f <return> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> M-x v c - g i
<tab> g <tab> <return> b a c k e n d <return> * <return>
<return> C-x o M-> M-< C-x o M-x r e p o r <tab> <
return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Loading vc-git...done
call-interactively: End of buffer
Grep finished (matches found) [2 times]
Mark set [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message idna sendmail regexp-opt ecomplete rfc822
mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev
nnheader gnus-util netrc time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit
mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug grep
compile comint ring vc-git tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
system-font-setting font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)