Subject: 23.3; Can't visit VMS file from Windows Emacs 23.3.1
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 14:24:17 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

[Resent from mail client bcause I got some kind of error when typing
C-c C-c from the emacs send buffer. Almost certainly configuration problem
at this end rather than anything wrong with emacs 23.3.1. Apologies if
this is a duplicate]

I'm running emacs 23.3.1 (i386-mingw0nt5.1.2600) of 20011-03-10 on
3249CTO

If I type C-x C-f /grunwald@machin:login.com to edit my login.com on a
remote VMS system called machin, emacs prompts for my password and then
fails to open login.com.

Buffer *ftp grunwald@machin* contains

Invalid help command foo.
open machin
Connected to machin.
220 machin.pc.scunthorpe.corusgroup.com FTP Server (Version 5.4) Ready.
user "grunwald" Turtle Power!
331 Username grunwald requires a Password
230 User logged in.
hash
Hash mark printing On  ftp: (2048 bytes/hash mark) .
pwd
257 "$DISK1:[GRUNWALD]" is current directory.
dir [.".$DISK1!.GRUNWALD]"
c:/DOCUME~1/GRUNWA~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ange-ftp3192Ba7
200 PORT command successful.
550 file specification syntax error
dir [.".$DISK1!.GRUNWALD]"
c:/DOCUME~1/GRUNWA~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ange-ftp3192Ba7
200 PORT command successful.
550 file specification syntax error
dir [.".$DISK1!.GRUNWALD]"
c:/DOCUME~1/GRUNWA~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ange-ftp3192sIR
200 PORT command successful.
550 file specification syntax error
dir [.".$DISK1!.GRUNWALD]"
c:/DOCUME~1/GRUNWA~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ange-ftp3192sIR
200 PORT command successful.
550 file specification syntax error
dir [.".$DISK1!]" c:/DOCUME~1/GRUNWA~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ange-ftp31925SX
200 PORT command successful.
550 file specification syntax error
dir [.".$DISK1!]" c:/DOCUME~1/GRUNWA~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ange-ftp31925SX
200 PORT command successful.
550 file specification syntax error
dir [.".$DISK1!.GRUNWALD]"
c:/DOCUME~1/GRUNWA~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ange-ftp3192Gdd
200 PORT command successful.
550 file specification syntax error
dir [.".$DISK1!.GRUNWALD]"
c:/DOCUME~1/GRUNWA~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ange-ftp3192Gdd
200 PORT command successful.
550 file specification syntax error
dir [.".$DISK1!.GRUNWALD]"
c:/DOCUME~1/GRUNWA~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ange-ftp3192Tnj
200 PORT command successful.
550 file specification syntax error
dir [.".$DISK1!.GRUNWALD]"
c:/DOCUME~1/GRUNWA~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ange-ftp3192Tnj
200 PORT command successful.
550 file specification syntax error
dir [.".$DISK1!]" c:/DOCUME~1/GRUNWA~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ange-ftp3192gxp
200 PORT command successful.
550 file specification syntax error
dir [.".$DISK1!]" c:/DOCUME~1/GRUNWA~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ange-ftp3192gxp
200 PORT command successful.
550 file specification syntax error
dir [.".$DISK1!.GRUNWALD]"
c:/DOCUME~1/GRUNWA~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ange-ftp3192t7v
200 PORT command successful.
550 file specification syntax error
dir [.".$DISK1!.GRUNWALD]"
c:/DOCUME~1/GRUNWA~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ange-ftp3192t7v
200 PORT command successful.
550 file specification syntax error
dir [.".$DISK1!.GRUNWALD]"
c:/DOCUME~1/GRUNWA~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ange-ftp31926F2
200 PORT command successful.
550 file specification syntax error
dir [.".$DISK1!.GRUNWALD]"
c:/DOCUME~1/GRUNWA~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ange-ftp31926F2
200 PORT command successful.
550 file specification syntax error

Buffer *Messages* contains

For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Loading tramp...done
Opening FTP connection to confid...done
Logging in as user grunwald@confid...done
Getting PWD...done
Listing /grunwald@confid:/$DISK1!/GRUNWALD/... [6 times]
byte-code: FTP Error: DIR failed: 550 file specification syntax error

I know next-to no emacs LISP, but I am an experienced programmer and
I've had a go at debugging this by sprinkling (message ... ...) calls
around the code. As far as I can make out, something outside amg-ftp is
calling ange-ftp-send-cmd with the command "dir /$DISK1!/". I believe it
is that that is casuing the problem, but I can't work out why this
command is being attempted.

For what it's worth, if I connect to machin from a DOS box and type PWD,
the response is

    "$DISK1:[GRUNWALD]" is current directory.

It seems to me that the exclamation mark between DISK1 and the slash is
causing the problem, but I've no idea where it's coming from.

I'd really like to use Emacs to edit the files as the strain of using
the VMS editor for some things, MS-Word (cough) for some things and Emacs
for others is beginning to make my head hurt.

Thanks,
Alan

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list
and the gnu.emacs.bug news group, and at http://debbugs.gnu.org.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give
a recipe starting from `emacs -Q':

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
c:/emacs-23.3/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-03-10 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/imagesupport/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENG
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> C-x b <return> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>
<help-echo> C a n ' t SPC a c c e s s SPC f i l e s
SPC o n SPC V M S S-SPC h o s t SPC f r o m SPC W i
n d o s <backspace> w s <return> C-g C-g M-x r e p
o <tab> r <tab> <return> C-c <tab> C-g C-x <tab> C-c
<tab> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-2> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-2> <wheel-down>
<double-wheel-down> <wheel-up> <wheel-up> <double-wheel-up>
<triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <down-mouse-3>
<mouse-3> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-2> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-2>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-2> <wheel-down> <wheel-down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down>
<wheel-down> <double-wheel-down> <wheel-up> <double-wheel-up>
<triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> C-x 1 C-x C-b C-x
o <down> d <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> d x y
e s <return> C-x 0 <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <wheel-up> <double-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up>
<triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo>
<wheel-down> <wheel-up> <double-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up>
M-x r e p o r t - e <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Checking 87 files in c:/emacs-23.3/lisp/calc...
Checking 43 files in c:/emacs-23.3/lisp/obsolete...
Checking 2 files in c:/emacs-23.3/leim...
Checking for load-path shadows...done
Auto-saving...
Quit [2 times]
Making completion list...
Quit
The mark is not set now, so there is no region
byte-code: Beginning of buffer [6 times]
byte-code: Beginning of buffer

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(mule-util info help-mode view shadow sort mail-extr message ecomplete
rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader
mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util
hashcash mail-utils emacsbug tramp-imap assoc tramp-gw tramp-fish
tramp-cache tramp-ftp tramp-cmds tramp auth-source gnus-util netrc
time-date advice help-fns advice-preload shell password-cache
format-spec tramp-compat trampver ange-ftp regexp-opt comint ring
warnings server tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image
fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files
text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom
widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty
emacs)

********************************************************************** 
This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by anyone other than the intended recipient. Neither Tata Steel Europe Limited nor any of its subsidiaries can accept any responsibility for any use or misuse of the transmission by anyone.  

For address and company registration details of certain entities within the Tata Steel Europe group of companies, please visit  http://www.tatasteeleurope.com/entities 
**********************************************************************