Subject: 23.3; EasyPG: pinentry in remote emacs session without X
From: Roland Winkler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 19:03:47 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I am running emacs remotely as a child of gpg-agent, but with X
forwarding disabled. If I am trying to visit a gpg-encrypted file, 
I simply get the error message

  File exists, but cannot be read

and I get an empty buffer.

I expect that this is related to the fact that EasyPG does not run
pinentry (or: does not run pinentry properly) if X forwarding is
disabled. If I do enable X forwarding and I try to open a
gpg-encrypted file, a pinentry window pops up, asking me for the
passphrase. Then I can visit gpg-encrypted files as expected.

I would expect that with X forwarding disabled, emacs will ask for the
passphrase in the minibuffer. (I believe I got this behavior when I had
no pinentry program installed.)

In GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9)
 of 2011-06-02 on lukas

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_US.ISO-8859-15
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-9-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t