Subject: Re: bug#8752: cp: fchown called before fchmod, unable to set file mode
From: Bob Proulx <[email-masked]>
To: Milan Novak <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 13:17:28 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Paul Eggert wrote:
> Paul Eggert wrote:
> > # echo "-n CHOWN" >>/etc/privgrp
> > # setprivgrp -f /etc/privgroup
> 
> Whoops, obviously I misspelled one of those two file names.
> I think the second one is right.  But you should read the
> manuals and check before trying it (I haven't used HP-UX
> in years).

The first was the misspelling, the second was the correct name.

Just to be clear, this next command will set it interactively.  You
can test the behavior without having made any permanent changes.  But
if you reboot the change will be gone.

  # setprivgrp -n CHOWN

Setting this file /etc/privgroup with the following contents will make
it persistent at boot time:

  -n CHOWN

See 'man 1m setprivgrp' for the HP-UX documentation.

And since I think this completely resolves the issue I am going to
close the ticket on it.  Please feel free to add additional comments.
If needed the ticket can be reopened at any time.

Bob