Subject: Re: doc for recenter, redisplay

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 13:54:52 -0400

> I notice that `recenter' has the effect of calling (redisplay t); that
> is, it seems to force a redisplay. I don't see this mentioned
> anywhere. It might be helpful to mention it. We might want to mention
> it in the Elisp manual node Textual Scrolling, where `recenter' is
> covered, and also in node Forcing Redisplay, where redisplay is
> covered (with an xref to Textual Scrolling).

In the docstring:
  
  If arg is omitted or nil, erase the entire frame and then redraw with
  point in the center of the current window.

In the Emacs manual:

  It also clears the screen and redisplays all windows; this is useful
  in case the screen becomes garbled for any reason (*note Screen
  Garbled::).

In the Elisp manual:

  If @var{count} is @code{nil}, @code{recenter} puts the line containing
  point in the middle of the window, then clears and redisplays the
  entire selected frame.

However, the docstring for recenter-top-bottom (new to Emacs 23) did not
mention this; I've updated it accordingly.