Subject: Emacs with X11 forwarding
From: Andrew Myers <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 10:03:18 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi All,
I'm trying to track down a really strange problem with emacs while
XForwarding and running Allegro Common lisp.  I don't know yet if this is  a
problem with emacs, X, or Allegro Lisp but I thought I would post here and
see if anyone had ideas.

Here's the situation,
Mac Laptops running either Leopard or Snow Leopard log into Linux servers
and set up X forwarding (either via ssh -Xy login or telnet and then setting
the DISPLAY variable to a remote machine).
Run emacs so that it comes up on the local Mac desktop, either using the
default X11.app or XQuartz
Start Allegro Common Lisp by running fi:common-lisp

Here's where things get strange:
If I :
Open emacs
Start lisp
Type in "(+ 4 5)"
Press Return twice //This runs the command (+ 4 5) and adds a newline after
the command

Everything will work properly, but emacs will lock up if I
A) Only hit Return once to activate the command, or
B) Only hit Return a bunch of times without typing in some kind of lisp
command.

I've tried this with both emacs 21 and 23 and see the same thing.  If I log
into a Mac or Solaris machine everything works fine.  I have the source for
emacs 23 and have gotten a backtrace from after emacs locks up, does it give
anyone ideas on where I should go next?

Thanks,
Andrew Myers
STScI

Thread 1 (process 17594):
#0  0x000000316e4cd1c3 in __select_nocancel () from /lib64/libc.so.6
#1  0x0000000000631ace in select_wrapper (n=7, rfd=0x7fffffff93d0, wfd=0x0,
xfd=0x0, tmo=0x7fffffff9330)
    at process.c:4582
#2  0x0000000000632b11 in wait_reading_process_output (time_limit=0,
microsecs=0, read_kbd=0, do_display=0,
    wait_for_cell=12384658, wait_proc=0x2e50850, just_wait_proc=0) at
process.c:4943
#3  0x000000000063121a in Faccept_process_output (process=48564309,
seconds=12384658, millisec=12384658,
    just_this_one=12384658) at process.c:4323
#4  0x00000000005cee8e in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0x7fffffff9690) at
eval.c:3034
#5  0x0000000000626023 in Fbyte_code (bytestr=42630353, vector=44402853,
maxdepth=16) at bytecode.c:680
#6  0x00000000005cf6e3 in funcall_lambda (fun=44403157, nargs=1,
arg_vector=0x7fffffff9bc8) at eval.c:3211
#7  0x00000000005cf0e7 in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0x7fffffff9bc0) at
eval.c:3070
#8  0x0000000000626023 in Fbyte_code (bytestr=42625457, vector=44401253,
maxdepth=28) at bytecode.c:680
#9  0x00000000005cf6e3 in funcall_lambda (fun=44401557, nargs=3,
arg_vector=0x7fffffffa118) at eval.c:3211
#10 0x00000000005cf0e7 in Ffuncall (nargs=4, args=0x7fffffffa110) at
eval.c:3070
#11 0x0000000000626023 in Fbyte_code (bytestr=42585873, vector=44400837,
maxdepth=20) at bytecode.c:680
#12 0x00000000005cf6e3 in funcall_lambda (fun=44401125, nargs=1,
arg_vector=0x7fffffffa658) at eval.c:3211
#13 0x00000000005cf0e7 in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0x7fffffffa650) at
eval.c:3070
#14 0x0000000000626023 in Fbyte_code (bytestr=44483617, vector=46044309,
maxdepth=12) at bytecode.c:680
#15 0x00000000005cf6e3 in funcall_lambda (fun=46060437, nargs=0,
arg_vector=0x7fffffffab88) at eval.c:3211
#16 0x00000000005cf0e7 in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=0x7fffffffab80) at
eval.c:3070
#17 0x0000000000626023 in Fbyte_code (bytestr=44485537, vector=46030325,
maxdepth=8) at bytecode.c:680
#18 0x00000000005cf6e3 in funcall_lambda (fun=46085717, nargs=0,
arg_vector=0x7fffffffb0a8) at eval.c:3211
#19 0x00000000005cf0e7 in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=0x7fffffffb0a0) at
eval.c:3070
#20 0x0000000000626023 in Fbyte_code (bytestr=44485153, vector=46132821,
maxdepth=8) at bytecode.c:680
#21 0x00000000005cf6e3 in funcall_lambda (fun=46136933, nargs=0,
arg_vector=0x7fffffffb500) at eval.c:3211
#22 0x00000000005cf35e in apply_lambda (fun=46136933, args=12384658,
eval_flag=1) at eval.c:3135
#23 0x00000000005cdd42 in Feval (form=46101078) at eval.c:2388
#24 0x00000000005cc266 in internal_condition_case_1 (bfun=0x5cd59b <Feval>,
arg=46101078, handlers=12451874,
    hfun=0x533483 <menu_item_eval_property_1>) at eval.c:1538
#25 0x0000000000533528 in menu_item_eval_property (sexpr=46101078) at
keyboard.c:7929
#26 0x0000000000533c3c in parse_menu_item (item=12384658, inmenubar=0) at
keyboard.c:8107
#27 0x000000000046fd91 in single_menu_item (key=46391282, item=51128918,
dummy=12384658, skp_v=0x7fffffffbbe0)
    at menu.c:346
#28 0x000000000053ee0a in map_keymap_item (fun=0x46fd56 <single_menu_item>,
args=12384658, key=46391282,
    val=51128918, data=0x7fffffffbbe0) at keymap.c:649
#29 0x000000000053ef9c in map_keymap_internal (map=43326838, fun=0x46fd56
<single_menu_item>, args=12384658,
    data=0x7fffffffbbe0) at keymap.c:687
#30 0x000000000053f1eb in map_keymap_canonical (map=43326838, fun=0x46fd56
<single_menu_item>, args=12384658,
    data=0x7fffffffbbe0) at keymap.c:756
#31 0x000000000046fcd5 in single_keymap_panes (keymap=51324406,
pane_name=12384658, prefix=46368338,
    maxdepth=9) at menu.c:310
#32 0x000000000046fef4 in single_menu_item (key=46368338, item=51324742,
dummy=12384658, skp_v=0x7fffffffbe80)
    at menu.c:449
#33 0x000000000053ee0a in map_keymap_item (fun=0x46fd56 <single_menu_item>,
args=12384658, key=46368338,
    val=51324742, data=0x7fffffffbe80) at keymap.c:649
#34 0x000000000053ef9c in map_keymap_internal (map=43425446, fun=0x46fd56
<single_menu_item>, args=12384658,
    data=0x7fffffffbe80) at keymap.c:687
#35 0x000000000053f1eb in map_keymap_canonical (map=43425446, fun=0x46fd56
<single_menu_item>, args=12384658,
    data=0x7fffffffbe80) at keymap.c:756
#36 0x000000000046fcd5 in single_keymap_panes (keymap=51324342,
pane_name=43966881, prefix=46368146,
    maxdepth=10) at menu.c:310
#37 0x0000000000470499 in parse_single_submenu (item_key=46368146,
item_name=43966881, maps=12384658)
    at menu.c:571
#38 0x0000000000473225 in set_frame_menubar (f=0x114b410, first_time=0,
deep_p=1) at xmenu.c:1080
#39 0x00000000004728cd in x_activate_menubar (f=0x114b410) at xmenu.c:684
#40 0x000000000052cc44 in kbd_buffer_get_event (kbp=0x7fffffffcdd8,
used_mouse_menu=0x7fffffffd4c4,
    end_time=0x0) at keyboard.c:4246
#41 0x000000000052a4ae in read_char (commandflag=1, nmaps=5,
maps=0x7fffffffd140, prev_event=12384658,
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
    used_mouse_menu=0x7fffffffd4c4, end_time=0x0) at keyboard.c:3079
#42 0x000000000053672d in read_key_sequence (keybuf=0x7fffffffd870,
bufsize=30, prompt=12384658,
    dont_downcase_last=0, can_return_switch_frame=1, fix_current_buffer=1)
at keyboard.c:9512
#43 0x0000000000526689 in command_loop_1 () at keyboard.c:1643
#44 0x00000000005cc0ca in internal_condition_case (bfun=0x5262f6
<command_loop_1>, handlers=12451874,
    hfun=0x525c54 <cmd_error>) at eval.c:1490
#45 0x0000000000526015 in command_loop_2 () at keyboard.c:1360
#46 0x00000000005cba7c in internal_catch (tag=12444690, func=0x525ffb
<command_loop_2>, arg=12384658)
    at eval.c:1226
#47 0x0000000000525fd5 in command_loop () at keyboard.c:1339
#48 0x000000000052579a in recursive_edit_1 () at keyboard.c:954
#49 0x000000000052593d in Frecursive_edit () at keyboard.c:1016
#50 0x0000000000523d9f in main (argc=1, argv=0x7fffffffe1b8) at emacs.c:1833

Lisp Backtrace:
"accept-process-output" (0xffff9698)
"fi::wait-for-reply-to-come-back" (0xffff9bc8)
"lep::eval-session-in-lisp" (0xffffa118)
"fi:eval-in-lisp" (0xffffa658)
"fi::connection-open-composer-loaded" (0xffffab88)
"fi::connection-open-composer-loaded-cached" (0xffffb0a8)
"fi::connection-open-composer-loaded-and-stopped" (0xffffb500)