Subject: 24.0.50; gnus displays wrong number of messages in group
From: Christoph Scholtes <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 09:25:36 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Emacs 24.0.50 r103501

I am using gnus to read mail from Google Mail via imap.

When I pull up my INBOX folder with C-u Return gnus asks me how many
articles to download. The default value according to gnus is 8823. When
I press Return, it downloads 42 articles, as many as are actually in the
INBOX folder. Shouldn't it display the actual number of messages in the folder?

Other folders have the same problem and also display an incorrect
default number of messages.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600)
 of 2011-03-03 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --cflags -IC:/Progra~2/GnuWin32/include -ID:/devel/emacs/libXpm-3.5.8/include -ID:/devel/emacs/libXpm-3.5.8/src'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  desktop-save-mode: t
  autopair-mode: t
  autopair-global-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  yas/global-mode: t
  yas/minor-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
<return> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-p C-p C-p SPC q 
SPC <help-echo> C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n SPC C-n C-n 
SPC C-n SPC <up> SPC S W C-SPC C-SPC C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-x C-k <down> <down> <down> <down> <return> 
I SPC q w i l <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
w i l l SPC g i v e t <backspace> SPC t h a t SPC a 
SPC t r y . C-x k <return> y e s <return> <down> SPC 
S W C-SPC C-SPC C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-x C-k <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <return> C-x k <return> y e s <return> 
C-c c A n s r <backspace> w e r C-c C-c < M C y q SPC 
C-n C-n C-n SPC SPC SPC SPC C-n C-n SPC C-n C-n C-n 
C-n SPC C-u C-f U N q q y <help-echo> M-x g n u s <return> 
C-p C-p C-p C-u <C-return> C-u <return> C-n C-n C-u 
<return> <return> B m T r a s j <tab> <backspace> h 
<tab> <return> q q y C-x RET r e p o r t <tab> <re
turn>

Recent messages:
Fetching headers for INBOX...done
Generating summary...done
No more unseen articles
No more unread articles
Moving to [Google Mail]/Trash: (8823)...
Are you sure you want to quit reading news? (y or n)  y
Saving c:/Users/Christoph/AppData/Roaming/.newsrc.eld...
Saving file c:/Users/Christoph/AppData/Roaming/.newsrc.eld...
Wrote c:/Users/Christoph/AppData/Roaming/.newsrc.eld
Saving c:/Users/Christoph/AppData/Roaming/.newsrc.eld...done

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/plugins/python hides d:/devel/emacs/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/progmodes/python

Features:
(shadow emacsbug url-util url-parse url-vars gnus-dup html2text tabify
vc-hg org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo
org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks org-agenda org-info
org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex org-bbdb org-capture org-mks org
ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src
ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval org-complete pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-compat org-entities org-macs noutline outline cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs qp mule-util sort gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg
gnus-ml gnus-topic nndraft nnmh utf-7 nnfolder rot13 epa-file epa epg
auth-source nnimap parse-time utf7 netrc gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view
mml-smime smime password-cache dig mailcap nntp proto-stream starttls
tls gnus-cache nnir gnus-sum macroexp nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail
mail-source format-spec gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util time-date mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr
wid-edit js2-mode-autoloads package zenburn-theme sha1 hex-util
re-builder midnight desktop ibuffer nav nav-tags nav-bufs uniquify
anything-config warnings browse-url semantic/util-modes semantic/util
semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw loaddefs eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile mode-local cedet imenu bookmark pp dired ffap
thingatpt anything python skeleton rx ansi-color autopair google-c-style
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs grep-o-matic grep compile comint regexp-opt browse-kill-ring+
browse-kill-ring second-sel ido yasnippet dropdown-list derived
easy-mmode easymenu assoc cl etags-table edmacro kmacro etags ring
org-install server advice help-fns advice-preload autorevert delsel
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table
ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)