Subject: 30.2; Search for a function inside a mini buffer
From: "Jakub T. Jankiewicz" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2025 17:36:35 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

You can search inside mini buffer, `M-x C-s`, to find a command to execute.
But it seems that you can't run `C-h f C-s` to search function documentation.
there are no list to search through. And the search says [Failing I-search] no
matter what you type.

There was related bug report in 2012:

https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=12490

When the feature of searching inside mini buffer was removed (by accident I
assume). There was a workaround created back then. I'm not sure if the
workaround also fixed `C-h f` (most likely did, I would probably found this
sooner), but now it's not working the same as the workaround that I was
given. I also run in `emacs -Q` and `M-x C-s` is working there, but
`C-h f C-s` do not.

I also checked `C-h v C-s`, so I can assume that all docs have the same
issue.

Jakub

--
Jakub T. Jankiewicz, Senior Front-End Developer
https://jakub.jankiewicz.org
https://lips.js.org
https://koduj.org