Subject: 30.1.90; Leuven theme causing strange frame issues?
From: Ken Mankoff <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2025 23:03:44 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I'm experiencing a bit of weird bug, but have successfuly reproduced it
with a clean minimal setup and fixed it by commenting out one line from
the Leuven theme.

This line is causing the problem:

   ;`(lui-highlight-face ((,class (:box '(:line-width 1 :color "#CC0000") :foreground "#CC0000" :background "#FFFF88")))) ; my nickname

The issue occurs in the following situation:

I regularly bring up a new frame with `emacsclient -c -n`. I've just
started to use emacs Slack integration, and when I launch
`(slack-start)`, I get the following message

face-spec-set-2: Invalid face box: quote, (:line-width 1 :color
"#CC0000")

And from then onward, when I try to bring up a new frame, I cannot. The
*scratch* buffer opens in an existing frame.

This is reproducible with a small init.el that only contains:

; set up use-package
(load-theme 'leuven)
(server-start)
(use-package slack
   ; Generic Slack conifg here
   )

When I comment out the `lui-highlight-face` above, the bug goes away.

In GNU Emacs 30.1.90 (build 7, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.49, cairo version 1.18.4) of 2025-07-13 built on fw13
Repository revision: 1136aed6dc5f8a2b7fad78bcd5dcd7eeba863e14
Repository branch: HEAD
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/kdm/local/emacs --with-pgtk
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug vc-git diff-mode track-changes
vc-dispatcher oc-basic org-element org-persist org-id org-refile
org-element-ast inline avl-tree generator ol-eww eww xdg url-queue
mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill
kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus
compile comp-run comp-common xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source
utf7 nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail
yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader
gnus-util text-property-search mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr
wid-edit ol-docview doc-view filenotify jka-compr image-mode exif dired
dired-loaddefs ol-bibtex bibtex iso8601 ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi
org-link-doi org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-src sh-script smie treesit executable ob-comint org-pcomplete
pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring org-list org-footnote
org-faces org-entities time-date noutline outline ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol rx org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc
org-loaddefs thingatpt find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
org-version org-compat org-macs format-spec edmacro kmacro cl-extra
help-mode warnings server leuven-theme use-package use-package-ensure
use-package-delight use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key
easy-mmode use-package-core finder-inf all-the-icons-dired-autoloads
all-the-icons-ibuffer-autoloads all-the-icons-autoloads
doom-modeline-autoloads nerd-icons-autoloads shrink-path-autoloads
f-autoloads slack-autoloads emojify-autoloads ht-autoloads
alert-autoloads log4e-autoloads gntp-autoloads circe-autoloads
request-autoloads ts-autoloads s-autoloads info dash-autoloads
websocket-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win
touch-screen pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 543216 47016) (symbols 48 30153 3)
 (strings 32 159056 3725) (string-bytes 1 4106903) (vectors 16 50253)
 (vector-slots 8 1337153 222504) (floats 8 376 98)
 (intervals 56 5819 0) (buffers 992 15))