Subject: xref/pp changes in latest versions?
From: Gonzalo Larumbe <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2025 00:04:32 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I am experiencing an error in a CI job in GitHub in some packages I
currently maintain (verilog-ext and vhdl-ext, available on MELPA). The
error only happens in the `snapshot` build, cached from a recent Emacs
version (https://github.com/purcell/nix-emacs-ci).

In both of these packages (verilog-ext and vhdl-ext) I have created an
`xref` backend based on tree-sitter. To test it there is an ERT test suite
that writes the xref items to a text file with `(pp-default-function
#'pp-29)` and compares it with a reference file created previously using
the same function.

This test works well with all Emacs versions from 29.1 to 30.1 and with
release-snapshot. However with the latest versions it seems something in
`pp` or in `xref` might have changed that I am missing and maybe I should
update to. Is there any idea of what could it be?

I attach the log of GitHub actions failing job in case it could be useful.

Thanks in advance!