Subject: Cannot return from the debugger
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 16:32:00 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Package: Emacs
Version: 24.0.50

The limitation that we "Cannot return from the debugger in an error",
is a bug: we should be able to continue (i.e. run the code of the
corresponding error handler), just as if the debugger had not been invoked.

        Stefan

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2010-11-09 on faina
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
configured using `configure  'CFLAGS=-Wall -Wno-pointer-sign -DUSE_LISP_UNION_TYPE -DSYNC_INPUT -DENABLE_CHECKING -DXASSERTS -DFONTSET_DEBUG -g -O1 -I/usr/include/GNUstep' 'LDFLAGS=-L/home/monnier/src/Xaw3d' 'CPPFLAGS=-I/home/monnier/src/Xaw3d' '--enable-maintainer-mode''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: fr_CH.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  outline-minor-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  checkdoc-minor-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  global-reveal-mode: t
  reveal-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<select-window> <switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> 
<select-window> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <select-window> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> 
<select-window> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <select-window> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> 
<select-window> <switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<select-window> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <select-window> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> 
<select-window> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <select-window> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> 
<select-window> <switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> 
<select-window> <switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> 
<select-window> <switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> 
<select-window> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <select-window> 
<switch-frame> <select-window> f C-a C-k C-y <return> 
M-< C-e C-a <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-2> C-e 
C-c @ C-a <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> 
<down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> 
<mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> 
<down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> 
<down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <switch-frame> <select-window> 
<switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> <select-window> 
<switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> <select-window> 
<switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> <select-window> 
<switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> <select-window> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> 
<select-window> <switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> 
<select-window> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-1> 
M-d m e s s a g e <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<left> <left> <M-backspace> m e s s C-/ C-/ C-/ C-/ 
C-a C-M-u C-M-u C-M-u C-M-u C-M-u C-M-u C-M-u <switch-frame> 
<select-window> <switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> 
<select-window> <switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> 
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-2> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <up> <left> <right> <up> <left> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> C-h f <return> 
<switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> <select-window> 
<switch-frame> <select-window> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-2> <switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> 
<select-window> <switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> 
<select-window> <switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> 
<select-window> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <select-window> 
<switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> <select-window> 
<switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> <select-window> 
<switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> <select-window> 
<switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> <select-window> 
<switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> <select-window> 
<switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> <select-window> 
<switch-frame> <select-window> c <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<select-window> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <select-window> 
<switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> <select-window> 
<switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> <select-window> 
<switch-frame> <select-window> <switch-frame> M-x r 
e p o r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Mark set [2 times]
Error during redisplay: (args-out-of-range 12341677 12387528)
Contacting host: bazaar.launchpad.net:80 [3 times]
Note: file is write protected
Entering debugger...
Mark set
Undo! [4 times]
Auto-saving...
Continuing.
Entering debugger...

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/bbdb/bbdb-com hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-com
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/bbdb/bbdb-ftp hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-ftp
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/bbdb/bbdb-rmail hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-rmail
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/bbdb/bbdb-mhe hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-mhe
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/bbdb/bbdb-gui hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-gui
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/bbdb/bbdb-print hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-print
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/bbdb/bbdb hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/bbdb/bbdb-w3 hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-w3
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/bbdb/bbdb-sc hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-sc
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/bbdb/bbdb-whois hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-whois
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/bbdb/bbdb-snarf hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-snarf
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/bbdb/bbdb-merge hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-merge
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/bbdb/bbdb-vm hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-vm
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/bbdb/bbdb-migrate hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-migrate
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/bbdb/bbdb-gnus hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-gnus
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/bbdb/bbdb-hooks hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-hooks

Features:
(mail-extr emacsbug message sendmail rfc822 mml mml-sec mailabbrev
mailheader mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode url-cache url-dav xml
mail-utils url-http tls url url-proxy url-privacy url-history mailcap
url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums url-cookie url-gw
url-expand url-methods url-util etags reftex-parse autorevert doc-view
jka-compr image-mode dired format-spec bibtex-style bibtex reftex-vcr
reftex-dcr reftex reftex-vars tex-mode shell latexenc cal-china lunar
solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs
cal-french diary-lib diary-loaddefs mule-util cal-move cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs log-edit pcvs-util whitespace sort mpc skeleton smie
dabbrev modula2 parse-time autoconf autoconf-mode nroff-mode make-mode
conf-mode nxml-uchnm rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid
rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn
nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc
xmltok sh-script completion hideif cpp cmacexp texinfo add-log
smerge-mode diff-mode cc-mode cc-fonts cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs pcase macroexp compile bzrmerge
cl-specs debug vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher
multi-isearch executable copyright xscheme warnings trace testcover
scheme byte-opt unsafep re-builder shadow inf-lisp ielm pp comint ring
gmm-utils find-func elp edebug cust-print bytecomp byte-compile cus-edit
cus-start cus-load wid-edit vc-bzr sha1 hex-util filecache server
noutline outline easy-mmode flyspell ispell eldoc checkdoc regexp-opt
thingatpt help-mode easymenu view prog-mode electric url-handlers
url-parse auth-source netrc gnus-util url-vars mm-util mail-prsvr reveal
autoinsert uniquify advice help-fns advice-preload savehist
minibuf-eldef cl cl-loaddefs proof-site proof-autoloads pg-vars
bbdb-autoloads agda2 tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
newcomment menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)