Subject: rgrep is broken on woe32
From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 18:47:40 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.2.3790)
 of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1
--with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/xpm/include

(custom-set-variables
 '(grep-find-use-xargs 'gnu)
 '(grep-use-null-device nil))

(rgrep "ff-" ".emacs" "d:/.../" nil)

=======================================
-*- mode: grep; default-directory: "d:/.../" -*-
Grep started at Tue Jan 04 18:42:28

c:/gnu/cygwin/bin/find . \( -path  -o -path \*/attic -o -path \*/junk
-o -path \*/SCCS -o -path \*/RCS -o -path \*/CVS -o -path \*/MCVS -o
-path \*/.svn -o -path \*/.git -o -path \*/.hg -o -path \*/.bzr -o
-path \*/_MTN -o -path \*/_darcs -o -path \*/\{arch\} \) -prune -o \(
-name .\#\* -o -name \*.bc -o -name \*.exe -o -name \*.cmxa -o -name
\*.cmx -o -name \*.cmo -o -name \*.cmi -o -name \*.cma -o -name
\*.spit -o -name \*.spot -o -name \*.omc -o -name \*.data -o -name
\*.old -o -name \*.tmp -o -name \*.annot -o -name \*.p -o -name \*.err
-o -name \*.o -o -name \*\~ -o -name \*.bin -o -name \*.bak -o -name
\*.obj -o -name \*.map -o -name \*.ico -o -name \*.pif -o -name \*.lnk
-o -name \*.a -o -name \*.ln -o -name \*.blg -o -name \*.bbl -o -name
\*.dll -o -name \*.drv -o -name \*.vxd -o -name \*.386 -o -name \*.elc
-o -name \*.lof -o -name \*.glo -o -name \*.idx -o -name \*.lot -o
-name \*.fmt -o -name \*.tfm -o -name \*.class -o -name \*.fas -o
-name \*.lib -o -name \*.mem -o -name \*.x86f -o -name \*.sparcf -o
-name \*.fasl -o -name \*.ufsl -o -name \*.fsl -o -name \*.dxl -o
-name \*.pfsl -o -name \*.dfsl -o -name \*.p64fsl -o -name \*.d64fsl
-o -name \*.dx64fsl -o -name \*.lo -o -name \*.la -o -name \*.gmo -o
-name \*.mo -o -name \*.toc -o -name \*.aux -o -name \*.cp -o -name
\*.fn -o -name \*.ky -o -name \*.pg -o -name \*.tp -o -name \*.vr -o
-name \*.cps -o -name \*.fns -o -name \*.kys -o -name \*.pgs -o -name
\*.tps -o -name \*.vrs -o -name \*.pyc -o -name \*.pyo \) -prune -o
-type f \( -iname .emacs \) -print0 | xargs -0 -e grep -i -nH ff-
/usr/bin/find: invalid expression; I was expecting to find a ')'
somewhere but did not see one.

Grep finished with no matches found at Tue Jan 04 18:42:28
=======================================

when I paste the above command into a cygwin shell window, it works
just fine (finds what I need).
i.e., the () in the command are actually well balanced.

-- 
Sam Steingold <http://sds.podval.org>