Subject: 24.0.50; repeated crashes on mac os x.
From: emacs user <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 08:21:10 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi developers, I've reported a few times related and fairly frequent
crashes I am seeing on Mac OS X.  Here is another one.  This typically
occurs when reading my mail using VM.  As always, while I cannot
provide a simple reproducible example, I can reproduce the crash
myself using my setup and mail files.  I hope someone can take a look
at this, I'd be more than happy to help with tests etc, I wish I knew
more and could do more of the debugging myself.  I hope this is
helpful, please let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Process:         Emacs [28500]
Path:            /usr/local/emacs/trunk/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs
Identifier:      org.gnu.Emacs
Version:         Version 24.0.50 (9.0)
Code Type:       X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [9220]

Interval Since Last Report:          76916 sec
Crashes Since Last Report:           7424
Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  25453 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   2

Date/Time:       2011-02-25 08:11:21.898 -0500
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)
Report Version:  6

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x00000000bf7fff8c
Crashed Thread:  0

Thread 0 Crashed:
0   org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x00115d69 mark_object + 9 (alloc.c:5262)
1   org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0011604a mark_object + 746 (alloc.c:5543)
2   org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0011608d mark_object + 813 (alloc.c:5435)
3   org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x001167cc mark_vectorlike + 60
(alloc.c:5228)
4   org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x001167cc mark_vectorlike + 60
(alloc.c:5228)
5   org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0011604a mark_object + 746 (alloc.c:5543)
6   org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0011608d mark_object + 813 (alloc.c:5435)
7   org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x001167cc mark_vectorlike + 60
(alloc.c:5228)
8   org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x001167cc mark_vectorlike + 60
(alloc.c:5228)
9   org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0011604a mark_object + 746 (alloc.c:5543)
10  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0011608d mark_object + 813 (alloc.c:5435)
11  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x001167cc mark_vectorlike + 60
(alloc.c:5228)
12  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x001167cc mark_vectorlike + 60
(alloc.c:5228)
13  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0011604a mark_object + 746 (alloc.c:5543)
14  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0011608d mark_object + 813 (alloc.c:5435)
15  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x001167cc mark_vectorlike + 60
(alloc.c:5228)
16  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x001167cc mark_vectorlike + 60
(alloc.c:5228)
17  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0011604a mark_object + 746 (alloc.c:5543)
18  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0011608d mark_object + 813 (alloc.c:5435)
19  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x001167cc mark_vectorlike + 60
(alloc.c:5228)
20  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x001167cc mark_vectorlike + 60
(alloc.c:5228)
21  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0011604a mark_object + 746 (alloc.c:5543)
22  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0011608d mark_object + 813 (alloc.c:5435)
23  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x001167cc mark_vectorlike + 60
(alloc.c:5228)
24  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x001167cc mark_vectorlike + 60
(alloc.c:5228)
25  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0011604a mark_object + 746 (alloc.c:5543)
26  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0011608d mark_object + 813 (alloc.c:5435)
27  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x001167cc mark_vectorlike + 60
(alloc.c:5228)
...
494 org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0011608d mark_object + 813 (alloc.c:5435)
495 org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x001167cc mark_vectorlike + 60
(alloc.c:5228)
496 org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x001167cc mark_vectorlike + 60
(alloc.c:5228)
497 org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0011604a mark_object + 746 (alloc.c:5543)
498 org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0011608d mark_object + 813 (alloc.c:5435)
499 org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x001167cc mark_vectorlike + 60
(alloc.c:5228)
500 org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x001167cc mark_vectorlike + 60
(alloc.c:5228)
501 org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0011604a mark_object + 746 (alloc.c:5543)
502 org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0011608d mark_object + 813 (alloc.c:5435)
503 org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x001167cc mark_vectorlike + 60
(alloc.c:5228)
504 org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x001167cc mark_vectorlike + 60
(alloc.c:5228)
505 org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0011604a mark_object + 746 (alloc.c:5543)
506 org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0011608d mark_object + 813 (alloc.c:5435)
507 org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x001167cc mark_vectorlike + 60
(alloc.c:5228)
508 org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x001167cc mark_vectorlike + 60
(alloc.c:5228)
509 org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0011604a mark_object + 746 (alloc.c:5543)
510 org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0011608d mark_object + 813 (alloc.c:5435)
511 org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x001167cc mark_vectorlike + 60
(alloc.c:5228)

Thread 1:
0   libSystem.B.dylib             	0x9792344e __semwait_signal + 10
1   libSystem.B.dylib             	0x9794ddcd pthread_cond_wait$UNIX2003 + 73
2   com.apple.QuartzCore          	0x95f5aa09 fe_fragment_thread + 54
3   libSystem.B.dylib             	0x9794d155 _pthread_start + 321
4   libSystem.B.dylib             	0x9794d012 thread_start + 34

Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit):
  eax: 0x308b7885  ebx: 0x00115d6e  ecx: 0x003e0a34  edx: 0x2b2fc000
  edi: 0x00000001  esi: 0x2b2fc1a8  ebp: 0xbf800018  esp: 0xbf7fff90
   ss: 0x0000001f  efl: 0x00010286  eip: 0x00115d69   cs: 0x00000017
   ds: 0x0000001f   es: 0x0000001f   fs: 0x00000000   gs: 0x00000037
  cr2: 0xbf7fff8c

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.8.0, NS apple-appkit-949.54)
 of 2011-02-17 on beach.fas.harvard.edu
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.949
configured using `configure  '--with-ns' '--without-x''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t