Subject: The NS port is still 11 times slower than normal
From: Leo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:05:22 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi all,

There are numerous bug reports on the issues of NS port, in particular
the performance degradation after turning flyspell on.

I did a build of the NS port from trunk two days ago. And I tried
flyspell-buffer on the about page (C-h C-a). And it was about 11 times
slower than a same run on other terminals (X11, tty, Mac) etc.

Some of the reports are as old as two years ago. There seems little hope
it will shape up in the foreseeable future. I have been told even as it
stands today it is already much improved.

Meanwhile, we have a better alternative (the macport¹) that provides
comparable feature set as in GNU/Linux and without any compromise in
performance.

I wonder if macport should be merged?

Thanks.

Leo

Footnotes: 
¹  ftp://ftp.math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp/emacs