Subject: [PATCH] 31.0.50; makefile-mode: incorrectly highlights make-instructions as make targets
From: Jostein Kjønigsen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: "Ergus via Emacs development discussions." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2025 10:32:39 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hey everyone.

I found a bug in makefile-mode fontification.

Currently shell-commands/make-instructions within a target may get fontified as make-targets if they contain a : (colon) sign.

Consider the following make-target:

------- Makefile ------

run-docker: build-docker
	docker run -p 8080:8080 imagename

--------------------------

This defined a make-target called "run-docker" which depends on "build-docker", which runs the command "docker run -p 8080:8080 imagename".

In the current code, since the command contains a ":" the whole text up to that point ("docker run -p 8080") gets fontified as a make-target, even though it's clearly not declared at the beginning of the line.

Based on my digging, this seems to be due to the matching criteria defined in makefile-dependency-regex.

A common pattern used in this regex is "[^\n$#]" (with slight variations), which (from how I read regexps) aims to match anything which is not a lineshift, a $-sign or a #-sign.

"Anything" in this case would then also include whitespace, which IMO is the source of the bug.

I've tried changing this part of the statement in parts of the regex to "[^\n\s$#]", like in the attached patch. Ie also exclude leading whitespace. From what I've tested, it does not seem to have any adverse effects, although I may not have tested all areas affected by this change.

Feel free to test the suggested changes, and let me know if they can be improved in any way.

￼
—
Kind Regards
Jostein Kjønigsen

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 19, aarch64-apple-darwin24.3.0, NS
 appkit-2575.40 Version 15.3.1 (Build 24D70)) of 2025-03-03 built on
 SOK67R3KWV97
Repository revision: 38ed2238316a83ad2c95db04f115c38ade48514f
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2575
System Description:  macOS 15.3.1

Configured using:
 'configure --with-tree-sitter --with-native-compilation
 --with-imagemagick --with-harfbuzz'

Configured features:
ACL GLIB GNUTLS IMAGEMAGICK LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: BSDmakefile

Minor modes in effect:
  treemacs-filewatch-mode: t
  treemacs-follow-mode: t
  treemacs-hide-gitignored-files-mode: t
  treemacs-git-mode: t
  treemacs-fringe-indicator-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  highlight-symbol-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  editorconfig-mode: t
  indent-bars-mode: t
  completion-preview-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  poetry-tracking-mode: t
  all-the-icons-completion-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  global-nlinum-mode: t
  nlinum-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  doom-modeline-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  hs-minor-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/josteink/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20250301.2218/transient hides /Users/josteink/build/emacs/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug lisp-mnt re-builder make-mode
dockerfile-ts-mode conf-mode em-unix em-term term ehelp em-script
em-prompt em-pred em-ls em-hist em-glob em-extpipe em-cmpl em-dirs
em-basic em-banner em-alias esh-mode esh-var expand-region
text-mode-expansions the-org-mode-expansions
python-el-fgallina-expansions html-mode-expansions er-basic-expansions
expand-region-core expand-region-custom whitespace hydra lv
treemacs-hydras tabify treemacs-mouse-interface treemacs
treemacs-header-line treemacs-compatibility treemacs-mode
treemacs-bookmarks treemacs-tags treemacs-interface treemacs-persistence
treemacs-filewatch-mode treemacs-follow-mode treemacs-rendering
treemacs-annotations treemacs-async treemacs-workspaces treemacs-dom
treemacs-visuals treemacs-fringe-indicator treemacs-faces treemacs-icons
treemacs-scope treemacs-themes treemacs-core-utils pfuture ht
treemacs-logging treemacs-customization treemacs-macros ido yaml-ts-mode
display-line-numbers misearch multi-isearch help-fns radix-tree
bicep-ts-mode magit-gitignore git-rebase goto-addr magit-extras vc-hg
vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs log-view vc bug-reference
magit-bookmark magit-submodule magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog
magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote
magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag
magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status
magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log magit-diff smerge-mode
git-commit log-edit pcvs-util magit-core magit-autorevert magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process with-editor magit-mode benchmark magit-git
magit-base magit-section cursor-sensor crm llama markdown-mode add-log
elec-pair json-ts-mode vc-git vc-dispatcher tramp-cache time-stamp
tramp-sh pulse org-duration diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-iso disp-table
oc-basic ol-eww ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source
utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail yank-media
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win ol-docview doc-view jka-compr
image-mode exif dired dired-loaddefs ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m
ol-doi org-link-doi org-agenda elisp-slime-nav etags fileloop paredit
highlight-symbol flycheck editorconfig editorconfig-core
editorconfig-core-handle editorconfig-fnmatch indent-bars-ts indent-bars
cus-edit cus-start cus-load face-remap color eglot tree-widget
external-completion jsonrpc flymake diff ert ewoc debug backtrace
compile completion-preview which-func hideshow eww vtable url-queue shr
pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg xml puny mm-url gnus nnheader gnus-util
mail-utils range wid-edit mm-util mail-prsvr tramp trampver
tramp-integration tramp-message tramp-compat shell parse-time iso8601
tramp-loaddefs imenu ob-plantuml delsel autorevert filenotify embark-org
org-element org-persist org-id org-refile org-element-ast inline
avl-tree org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-src sh-script smie executable ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list
org-footnote org-faces org-entities time-date noutline outline
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold
org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs poetry pyvenv eshell
esh-cmd esh-ext esh-proc esh-opt esh-io esh-arg pcomplete esh-module
esh-module-loaddefs esh-util embark-consult consult bookmark
text-property-search embark ffap orderless all-the-icons-completion
marginalia vertico nlinum linum use-package-bind-key bind-key server
hl-line pixel-scroll cua-base all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces
data-material data-weathericons data-octicons data-fileicons
data-faicons data-alltheicons doom-modeline doom-modeline-segments
doom-modeline-env doom-modeline-core shrink-path f s dash nerd-icons
nerd-icons-faces nerd-icons-data nerd-icons-data-mdicon
nerd-icons-data-flicon nerd-icons-data-codicon nerd-icons-data-devicon
nerd-icons-data-sucicon nerd-icons-data-wicon nerd-icons-data-faicon
nerd-icons-data-powerline nerd-icons-data-octicon
nerd-icons-data-pomicon nerd-icons-data-ipsicon dracula-theme
use-package-ensure use-package-core finder-inf
all-the-icons-completion-autoloads all-the-icons-autoloads
bmx-mode-autoloads cargo-autoloads cmake-mode-autoloads
combobulate-autoloads combobulate-go combobulate-json combobulate-yaml
combobulate-css combobulate-js-ts combobulate-python combobulate-html
combobulate-toml combobulate-cursor multiple-cursors
mc-separate-operations rectangular-region-mode mc-mark-pop mc-edit-lines
mc-hide-unmatched-lines-mode mc-mark-more sgml-mode facemenu dom
thingatpt mc-cycle-cursors multiple-cursors-core advice comp comp-cstr
cl-extra help-mode warnings comp-run comp-common rect combobulate-query
savehist xref files-x scheme combobulate-ui transient pp format-spec
edmacro kmacro combobulate-display combobulate-ztree
combobulate-envelope combobulate-manipulation python rx project compat
comint ansi-osc ring ansi-color combobulate-procedure
combobulate-navigation combobulate-misc combobulate-setup tempo
combobulate-interface combobulate-settings diff-mode track-changes
easy-mmode treesit generator combobulate-rules company-autoloads
copilot-mode-autoloads crontab-mode-autoloads dap-mode-autoloads
bui-autoloads doom-modeline-autoloads dracula-theme-autoloads
elisp-slime-nav-autoloads embark-consult-autoloads consult-autoloads
embark-autoloads expand-region-autoloads flycheck-autoloads
highlight-symbol-autoloads indent-bars-autoloads lsp-docker-autoloads
lsp-treemacs-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase
magit-section-autoloads llama-autoloads marginalia-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads multiple-cursors-autoloads nerd-icons-autoloads
nlinum-autoloads orderless-autoloads paredit-autoloads poetry-autoloads
powershell-autoloads pyvenv-autoloads shrink-path-autoloads f-autoloads
spinner-autoloads transient-autoloads treemacs-autoloads cfrs-autoloads
posframe-autoloads ht-autoloads hydra-autoloads lv-autoloads
pfuture-autoloads ace-window-autoloads avy-autoloads s-autoloads
dash-autoloads undo-tree-autoloads queue-autoloads vertico-autoloads
wgrep-autoloads info with-editor-autoloads wsd-mode-autoloads
yaml-autoloads package browse-url xdg url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize
mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
tty-child-frames native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1136723 236110) (symbols 48 57070 3)
 (strings 32 315761 12126) (string-bytes 1 9424642)
 (vectors 16 112250) (vector-slots 8 2121204 187375)
 (floats 8 1899 10828) (intervals 56 21125 6631) (buffers 992 88))