Subject: Re: Incorrect mouse events / tool-bar event is undefined error.
From: mjk <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2025 23:06:24 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Sorry,

forgot to include the build details:

On fedora 40 with gnome.

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.42, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-07-16 built on
  27527c2e06f843c0962737354e0b3cf7
System Description: Fedora Linux 40 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
  'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
  --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
  --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
  --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
  --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
  --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var --runstatedir=/run
  --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
  --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-cairo --with-dbus --with-gif
  --with-gpm=no --with-harfbuzz --with-jpeg --with-json --with-modules
  --with-native-compilation=aot --with-pgtk --with-png --with-rsvg
  --with-sqlite3 --with-tiff --with-tree-sitter --with-webp --with-xpm
  --with-xwidgets build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
  host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu CC=gcc 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2
  -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g -grecord-gcc-switches
  -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
  -Wp,-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
  -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
  -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -march=x86-64
  -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection
  -fcf-protection -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer '
  LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
  PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig CXX=g++
  'CXXFLAGS=-O2 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g
  -grecord-gcc-switches -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
  -Wp,-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
  -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
  -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -march=x86-64
  -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection
  -fcf-protection -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer ''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MONETARY: fi_FI.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: fi_FI.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: fi_FI.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Message

Minor modes in effect:
   mml-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   auto-fill-function: message-do-auto-fill
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort emacsbug comp comp-cstr warnings icons rx cl-extra
help-mode url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
url-vars mail-extr message sendmail mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader clang-rename
clang-include-fixer let-alist json subr-x map byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile clang-format cl-macs gv xml cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win
term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads xwidget-internal dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 96060 9792)
  (symbols 48 7993 0)
  (strings 32 23040 2318)
  (string-bytes 1 697119)
  (vectors 16 18706)
  (vector-slots 8 376260 22697)
  (floats 8 169 21)
  (intervals 56 374 0)
  (buffers 984 13))

On 17.2.2025 22.59, mjk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had irritating mouse problems originally in lsp/dap mode.
> The mouse caused many-many beeps due to mouse move errors.
>
> This is probably combination of problems in the basic thing and the lsp
> gui packages together.
>
> I was able to pinpoint one factor of this problem into configuration
> where I had removed my .emacs and .emacs.d, so that I was in a pretty 
> clean
> configuration.
>
> In this state I get spurious errors like:
>
> <tool-bar> <wheel-up> is undefined
> <tool-bar> <wheel-down> is undefined
> <tool-bar> <double-wheel-down> is undefined
>
> when I rotate the mouse wheel in the window area (pretty much any, like
> *scratch*). Note, in the text window, not in the tool bar.
>
> This happens only in a limited area at the top of the window. Not at the
> very top of the window, but somewhat below. The dimensions of these areas
> are as if the program was thinking that the menubar and the toolbar were
> in the text window (like it was dispatching events from
> coordinates where the origin is in the upper corner of the text window
> rather than in the top of the whole window of the application.
> So there is a narrow strip having same height as the menu-bar which is
> not giving these events, then an area with same height as the tool-bar
> which gives them, and then below it works normally again.
>
> Then when other gui packages are on, I start to get also other similar
> errors, probably depending on what events have been enabled and what
> handlers have been installed. Mouse move events are naturally the most
> irritating ones. Luckily emacs can be used pretty well with keyboard 
> only.
>
> t. mjk
>