Subject: 31.0.50; Cursor positioning in mini-window and echo-area
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2025 12:12:24 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

To reproduce:

  $ emacs -Q -nw
  C-x 5 b RET
  M-: (frame-visible-p (next-frame))

After typing the last line above into the minibuffer, don't press RET.
Instead, move the cursor left one character with C-b, so that the
cursor is after the penultimate right parenthesis, and type "C-x C-e".
This should evaluate the (next-frame) part and show the result in the
echo-area.  But note that, while showing the result of the evaluation,
the cursor is not at the end of the value returned by next-frame, but
several places to the right, after some empty space.  This doesn't
happen in Emacs 30.

(Note: the build details below do not mean this problem is specific to
the MS-Windows build, I see this on GNU/Linux.)

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 530, i686-pc-mingw32) of 2025-01-26 built on
 ELIZ-PC
Repository revision: 35d39278599caf30eb4bfbd83118ffe15d2bc705
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.22631
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise (v10.0.2009.22631.4751)

Configured using:
 'configure -C --prefix=/d/usr --with-wide-int
 --without-native-compilation --enable-checking=yes,glyphs 'CFLAGS=-O0
 -gdwarf-4 -g3''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY W32NOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
touch-screen dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process
tty-child-frames emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 45585 18821) (symbols 48 6532 0) (strings 16 16140 2697)
 (string-bytes 1 333074) (vectors 16 9411)
 (vector-slots 8 111027 7616) (floats 8 23 6) (intervals 40 305 110)
 (buffers 896 10))