Subject: GNU grep 3.4 — enhancing manual
From: Anton Samokat <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2025 13:51:00 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello

In *man grep* page, in the beginning, in the *description* section, 
there is phrase:

/A FILE of “-” stands for standard input.  If no FILE is given, 
recursive searches examine the  working  directory, and  nonrecursive
        searches read standard input./

This is for GNU grep 3.4 in Ubuntu 20.04. At first read I thought that 
this phrase is non accurate, that it have mistakes. I read and 
understand it as follows:

/    If no FILE is given, recursively examine the working directory, and 
nonrecursively read standard input./

/Which does not have sense./

/But t/his phrase is accurate and means the following: _If no FILE is 
given, recursive searches (grep with -r option), examine the working 
directory; nonrecursive searches (without -r option), read standard input._

Though it will be hard to get for non experienced user. Please, make it 
more simple and straightforward, remove possible ambiguity. You can use 
my version above or correct it as you prefer.

As I understand this ambiguity created related discussion on Unix & 
Linux Stack Exchange: Why is "grep keyword" causing the terminal to 
stand by forever? — https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/789609/585416

Thanks, Anton.