Subject: Freezes in 22

From: David Reitter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:03:51 -0400

We've been experiencing freezes in Emacs 22 (Carbon, off CVS, patched).

The user supplied a stack trace (below), but he's running from binaries.

Is there anything else I can do to investigate this?

- D

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Ian Eure <[email-masked]>
> Date: 20 August 2008 12:45:01 EDT
> To: "[email-masked] Bugs" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: [Aquamacs-bugs] Freezes with nightlies
>
> I've been running nightly builds for a couple days, and they seem to
> be extremely prone to mysterious hangs. It seems like they deadlock
> when multitasking. For example, I was connecting with ERC while I was
> entering a command in the minibuffer, and Aquamacs froze when I hit  
> tab.
>
> Is this a known issue? Standard behavior for the nightlies?

ieure!neutron:~$ gdb /Appli"cations/Aquamacs Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/ 
Aquamacs Emacs"
GNU gdb 6.3.50-20050815 (Apple version gdb-768) (Tue Oct  2 04:07:49  
UTC 2007)
Copyright 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and  
you are
welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain  
conditions.
Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for  
details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-apple-darwin"...Reading symbols for  
shared libraries ......... done

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
pre-crt0.o" - no debug information available for "pre-crt0.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
dispnew.o" - no debug information available for "dispnew.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
frame.o" - no debug information available for "frame.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
scroll.o" - no debug information available for "scroll.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
xdisp.o" - no debug information available for "xdisp.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
window.o" - no debug information available for "window.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
charset.o" - no debug information available for "charset.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
coding.o" - no debug information available for "coding.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
category.o" - no debug information available for "category.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
ccl.o" - no debug information available for "ccl.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
cm.o" - no debug information available for "cm.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
term.o" - no debug information available for "term.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
xfaces.o" - no debug information available for "xfaces.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
emacs.o" - no debug information available for "emacs.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
keyboard.o" - no debug information available for "keyboard.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
macros.o" - no debug information available for "macros.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
keymap.o" - no debug information available for "keymap.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
sysdep.o" - no debug information available for "sysdep.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
buffer.o" - no debug information available for "buffer.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
filelock.o" - no debug information available for "filelock.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
insdel.o" - no debug information available for "insdel.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
marker.o" - no debug information available for "marker.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
minibuf.o" - no debug information available for "minibuf.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
fileio.o" - no debug information available for "fileio.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
dired.o" - no debug information available for "dired.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
filemode.o" - no debug information available for "filemode.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
cmds.o" - no debug information available for "cmds.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
casetab.o" - no debug information available for "casetab.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
casefiddle.o" - no debug information available for "casefiddle.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
indent.o" - no debug information available for "indent.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
search.o" - no debug information available for "search.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
regex.o" - no debug information available for "regex.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
undo.o" - no debug information available for "undo.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
alloc.o" - no debug information available for "alloc.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
data.o" - no debug information available for "data.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
doc.o" - no debug information available for "doc.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
editfns.o" - no debug information available for "editfns.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
callint.o" - no debug information available for "callint.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
eval.o" - no debug information available for "eval.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
floatfns.o" - no debug information available for "floatfns.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
fns.o" - no debug information available for "fns.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
print.o" - no debug information available for "print.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
lread.o" - no debug information available for "lread.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
abbrev.o" - no debug information available for "abbrev.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
syntax.o" - no debug information available for "syntax.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
unexmacosx.o" - no debug information available for "unexmacosx.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
bytecode.o" - no debug information available for "bytecode.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
process.o" - no debug information available for "process.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
callproc.o" - no debug information available for "callproc.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
region-cache.o" - no debug information available for "region-cache.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
atimer.o" - no debug information available for "atimer.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
doprnt.o" - no debug information available for "doprnt.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
strftime.o" - no debug information available for "strftime.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
intervals.o" - no debug information available for "intervals.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
textprop.o" - no debug information available for "textprop.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
composite.o" - no debug information available for "composite.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
md5.o" - no debug information available for "md5.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
mac.o" - no debug information available for "mac.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
macterm.o" - no debug information available for "macterm.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
macfns.o" - no debug information available for "macfns.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
macmenu.o" - no debug information available for "macmenu.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
macselect.o" - no debug information available for "macselect.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
fontset.o" - no debug information available for "fontset.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
fringe.o" - no debug information available for "fringe.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
image.o" - no debug information available for "image.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
mactoolbox.o" - no debug information available for "mactoolbox.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
macim.o" - no debug information available for "macim.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
terminfo.o" - no debug information available for "terminfo.c".

warning: Could not find object file "/Users/reitter/Aquamacs/emacs/src/ 
lastfile.o" - no debug information available for "lastfile.c".

(gdb) r
Starting program: /Applications/Aquamacs Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/ 
Aquamacs Emacs
Reading symbols for shared libraries +++++++ 
+ 
............................................................................ done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries .... done
^C
Program received signal SIGINT, Interrupt.
0x0007d4d8 in face_at_buffer_position ()
(gdb) xbacktrace
Undefined command: "xbacktrace".  Try "help".
(gdb) backtrace
#0  0x0007d4d8 in face_at_buffer_position ()
#1  0x00019bcd in handle_face_prop ()

#2  0x0001c6b5 in handle_stop ()
#3  0x00020167 in next_element_from_buffer ()
#4  0x0001daec in get_next_display_element ()
#5  0x0001eae8 in move_it_in_display_line_to ()
#6  0x000205bb in move_it_to ()
#7  0x0002103b in move_it_by_lines ()
#8  0x000329d8 in redisplay_window ()
#9  0x00032a3d in redisplay_window_0 ()
#10 0x000f37e3 in internal_condition_case_1 ()
#11 0x00026360 in redisplay_windows ()
#12 0x00026318 in redisplay_windows ()
#13 0x0003428d in redisplay_internal ()
#14 0x000350da in redisplay_preserve_echo_area ()
#15 0x0000cd81 in sit_for ()
#16 0x000917f1 in command_loop_1 ()
#17 0x000f3b7d in internal_condition_case ()
#18 0x00081258 in command_loop_2 ()
#19 0x000f3a5c in internal_catch ()
#20 0x00080f8d in command_loop ()
#21 0x000810ad in recursive_edit_1 ()
#22 0x000acd35 in read_minibuf ()
#23 0x000adb0b in Fcompleting_read ()
#24 0x00086fdd in Fexecute_extended_command ()
#25 0x000f5b95 in Ffuncall ()
#26 0x000f2906 in Fcall_interactively ()
#27 0x00086d0e in Fcommand_execute ()
#28 0x00091374 in command_loop_1 ()
#29 0x000f3b7d in internal_condition_case ()
#30 0x00081258 in command_loop_2 ()
#31 0x000f3a5c in internal_catch ()
#32 0x00080fee in command_loop ()
#33 0x000810ad in recursive_edit_1 ()
#34 0x000811be in Frecursive_edit ()
#35 0x000802e2 in main ()
(gdb)