Subject: Re: bug#75134: Issue with guix pull
From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
To: Eric Gade <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2025 01:23:41 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Glad to hear --cores=1 helped!

I have seen some strange behavior in x86_64 qemu VMs, but also --cores=1
did help me build rust-1.54 bootstrap on x86_64.  It also might be a bug
in guix-daemon, perhaps only in the old 1.4.0 revision, judging from how
the error message says store protocol error.

I will close this bug and not investigate further, but if you want to
investigate, you could try if, after upgrading your system with `guix
system reconfigure`, the command

guix build --check --no-grafts /gnu/store/6cmb5svslbgrhmbg6mkh40x5rnzfvqsg-graphviz-minimal-7.0.1.drv

continues to fail and maybe file a more specific bug that the
graphviz-minimal package must specify that it can be built on one core
only.  That is
‘#:parallel-build?’
‘#:parallel-tests?’
might have to be false.  At least if someone can observe this outside a
VM.  On my four core riscv Visionfive2, `guix build --check --no-grafts
graphviz-minimal` succeeds, though.

Regards,
Florian